Tennessee vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jen S

Reaction score
Hi I have been so fortunate to be accepted to both Tuft and Tennessee, and I am having a hard time deciding where to go I would love to hear current students perspective to help me make my decision. In particular any information about the environment among the class (I really want to avoid a competitive environment) and the curriculum! My career focus is shelter medicine or possibly specialize in cardiology. I also would love to mentor high schoolers and undergraduates to get into veterinary school. Here is my current list for the schools, but I really would appreciate any input!

Tennessee (OOS)
-Tuition $53,000
-I have never been to Tennesee, but I have heard great things about Knoxville, and it would be warmer than Massachusetts
-Love the possiblity of participating in the vets for pets of homeless owners program
-Loved my interviewers who were both current professors so very promising for amazing professors!!!
-Voice club that allows for mentorship of high school student

Tufts (OOS)
-Tuition $65,000
-Grafton is a small town and cold (I have lvied in the North East so this isn’t new to me)
-Shetler medicine program
-Selectives
-Closer to family
-International Veterinary Medicine Oppurtunity
-Also loved my interviewers that were professors
-Mentoring opportunities with high schoolers

Members don't see this ad.

~go to your cheapest option~

That said, some stuff about Tennessee:

The best thing about it is the people. It is a very collaborative environment, everyone wants to see you succeed, from your classmates to the other students to the faculty and staff. The support system here is amazing. The faculty are here because they want to teach and it shows.

We don't have a specific shelter med program/certificate or anything, but CAIT is very active and you can get involved with a lot of shelter med activities through them. There is a shelter med club too, and I believe a couple pre-clinical electives.

Knoxville is great! Lots of things to do, many many restaurants, lots of nature. Cost of living has gone up over the last few years unfortunately.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have :)

Reactions: 1 user