Terbutaline outpatient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halley362

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pharmacist that received a prescription for terbutaline tablets for a patient that was having pre-term contractions. According to the prescriber, her cervix was not dilated and she was not prescribing terbutaline to delay labor but more as an "as needed" medication for the patient to use for its analgesic effect from contractions. I cannot find this as an indication anywhere in my resources but also admit I am no OBGYN expert. I ended up dispensing the medication - I did express my concerns about the risks involved to both the prescriber and patient. Can anyone shed some light on whether this a common or acceptable use for terbutaline?

Members don't see this ad.

The FDA issued a black box warning that limits Terbutaline’s use to inpatient use. During my training we’ve been taught to use Terbutaline as a last resort and not as a tocolytic.

I am a pharmacist that received a prescription for terbutaline tablets for a patient that was having pre-term contractions. According to the prescriber, her cervix was not dilated and she was not prescribing terbutaline to delay labor but more as an "as needed" medication for the patient to use for its analgesic effect from contractions. I cannot find this as an indication anywhere in my resources but also admit I am no OBGYN expert. I ended up dispensing the medication - I did express my concerns about the risks involved to both the prescriber and patient. Can anyone shed some light on whether this a common or acceptable use for terbutaline?

Not common and not considered standard practice. Would not recommend

It's an old habit, they used to prescribe it off-label to stop preterm contractions at home, they don't do it any more.