Terminal Masters Programs w/Stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Belfagor

Busy Breaking Bonaduce
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do these exist? I'm debating the seven years or so that it will take for to complete an MSTP, and I've been looking into masters programs that culminate in 1-2 years as opposed to those that require a PhD dissertation to complete. I've only seen that type of program in conjunction with engineering majors. I'm a molecular biotech major, so I won't have completed enough engineering courses to be competitive (I don't think) for that type of program. All other programs tend to be SMP-type programs where paying 40k+ a year is the standard. I definitely don't feel like dropping more on a one-year masters than I did on my entire four years of undergrad.

Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right in that if you are paying for an engineering graduate degree, you are doing something wrong.

When I applied to graduate school, I had several options at my state university for funded programs. Several were in engineering, but large (relative) stipends were available for folks in physics, cell phys, and chemistry, as well as some odd-balls like physical chemistry. These all require that students do the "plan A" option, i.e., thesis based masters. When you check into the schools, look for this distinction, and you might find more that offer student funding (in addition to RA work, you may be asked to teach at least one semester).

Don't back away too quickly from the engineering programs. If your biotech program was math intensive, then you may only need a few additional classes to meet the pre-reqs. Also, many of the pre-reqs are offered as UG/Grad classes, and you can satisfy the pre-reqs while earning graduate elective credits at the same time. But there is certainly the possibility of having too much to do in only two years.

You might run into problems with graduating on time, however, with ANY thesis based masters program. Since MSTPs are not as willing to allow deferals, you might have to pass on an admission just to finish your chemistry thesis. That would be horrible. Its real easy to slack around for 18 months, then find yourself in some serious $hit when it is time to put the thesis together. Even if you drop the program, all your thesis credits turn to F's and the goal of using the MS to boost admission chances now has turned into a large burden. Just be careful

JETER said:
You're right in that if you are paying for an engineering graduate degree, you are doing something wrong.

When I applied to graduate school, I had several options at my state university for funded programs. Several were in engineering, but large (relative) stipends were available for folks in physics, cell phys, and chemistry, as well as some odd-balls like physical chemistry. These all require that students do the "plan A" option, i.e., thesis based masters. When you check into the schools, look for this distinction, and you might find more that offer student funding (in addition to RA work, you may be asked to teach at least one semester).

Don't back away too quickly from the engineering programs. If your biotech program was math intensive, then you may only need a few additional classes to meet the pre-reqs. Also, many of the pre-reqs are offered as UG/Grad classes, and you can satisfy the pre-reqs while earning graduate elective credits at the same time. But there is certainly the possibility of having too much to do in only two years.

You might run into problems with graduating on time, however, with ANY thesis based masters program. Since MSTPs are not as willing to allow deferals, you might have to pass on an admission just to finish your chemistry thesis. That would be horrible. Its real easy to slack around for 18 months, then find yourself in some serious $hit when it is time to put the thesis together. Even if you drop the program, all your thesis credits turn to F's and the goal of using the MS to boost admission chances now has turned into a large burden. Just be careful

Thanks. I guess my goal is to get a masters under my belt, and then perhaps head the MD route without the PhD. I'm a little shaky right now on exactly what I want to do as I head into my Junior year, so heading into a 1-2 years masters program and heading out with a possible career to fall back on seems attractive. Could I assume that with a biotech degree and an MS in engineering I would be industry ready? The MSTP route sounds like a good deal, and so does a regular MD. What scares me is heading into a 5 year PhD program of my choice, only to be left in an over-satured field of PhD's where I may find myself in Post-Doc limbo. Not only that, but I don't want to be making 30-40k as a post-doc after 9 years of higher education.

I know that money shouldn't be a factor, but well... it is. I want to be compensated for my time and the rigors of my academic pursuits, and it seems that PhD's aren't being rewarded as the job market is washed over with an influx of degree holders.

I guess I'm just evaluating my options. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, there is. I was in your situation and I had funding the whole time. Basically, you have to find a PI willing to pay for you, which isn't really that difficult. After that, the Masters students aren't too much different than the PhD's.

Plus there are like 400 faculty and scads of $$. Not a bad place to do research if I do say so myself.