Terminated..What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OliviaNoelle18

Reaction score
I recently placed a job as an ambulatory technician to gain clinical experience. They had terminated me a month into the job due to a HIIPAA violation. Being a new to the medical field, I had no idea I was violating HIIPAA. What happened was I recommended the otorlayngology (ENT) clinic i worked at to my boyfriend because he has horrible sinus's. I asked one of the girls who works there while I was training how to look up his appointment time. She told me and all his medical records came up. A week later, I was terminated for this. I'm so distraught because that was never my intention. How will I ever gain clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently placed a job as an ambulatory technician to gain clinical experience. They had terminated me a month into the job due to a HIIPAA violation. Being a new to the medical field, I had no idea I was violating HIIPAA. What happened was I recommended the otorlayngology (ENT) clinic i worked at to my boyfriend because he has horrible sinus's. I asked one of the girls who works there while I was training how to look up his appointment time. She told me and all his medical records came up. A week later, I was terminated for this. I'm so distraught because that was never my intention. How will I ever gain clinical experience?

pretty sure you'd have to click a few other things other than just the appt. schedule to view and see all his medical records.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fishy...

Reactions: 1 users
Shadow as much as you can. Do outreach in underserved communities, even if just blood pressures.

In the future as a general rule DON'T EVER go into someone's record who you did not get a signed HIPAA consent from again.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this is the entirety of the story...screams fishy. I've been to enough doctors to know that you won't view personal information when you're making an appointment.

Also every clinical job out there makes you go through HIPPA training so the fact that you 'didn't know' doesn't mean jack. they drill it into your head because its a big deal

Reactions: 2 users
The most suspect thing about this is the fact that, instead of simply asking your boyfriend what time his appointment was, you went into his medical records. I don't believe this is the full story, but what's done is done. Just remember this lesson, because this could've been a career-ending mistake later on.

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty sure there's more to this story.
Either way getting another job won't be hard. EMT or scribing is good.

Actual pic of OP 7115982_f520.jpg

Sounds like somebody has trust issues. "ENT Appt? BS! He's seeing HER! I know it!"

Reactions: 3 users
Damn you guys a brutal. But I agree....

Besides all of that, getting anther CNA, scribe, MA job should not be that hard.