Termination at CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mhdfdleon

Reaction score
Looking for a reliable lawyer that can fight cvs . Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Forget the lawyer.Move on.In time you will think they did you a favor.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I don’t know the full story but CVS pays law firms an annual fixed rate to defend them. They don’t care about being sued, just as long as it is not a systemic issue

Forget the lawyer.Move on.In time you will think they did you a favor.

I tell everyone…you should be looking for other jobs on your first day at CVS. Sooner or later, it will break you down.

Reactions: 3 users
Leaving CVS is a blessing.

Attempting a law suite against a large employer, is futile. Ask me how I know! Like others have said, you might be 100% in the right, but you have no chance against CVS.
When I was "let go" from a large hospital group, specifically for being too old, I was furious. I contacted an employment lawyer, went in for a consultation. He listened to my story, to all my evidence.
He said: "son, (he was very old) I hear you, with age discrimination claim. But you have to be either a minority female, or a transgender going through gender reassignment, to have any chance in court". As an old white guy, I was done. I said, I can't be the former, but the latter, I can give it a try!
You can't make up this chit. There is a lot of injustice in this world.
I left to go on to bigger and better things. They did you a favor, just move on.

• Okay...
Reactions: 8 users
I don’t know the full story but CVS pays law firms an annual fixed rate to defend them. They don’t care about being sued, just as long as it is not a systemic issue
Legal retainer… not uncommon at all.

Would imagine they are also insured financially on any big settlements and payouts. Run of the mill really.

Reactions: 1 user
Odds of taking something to a courtroom and winning are slim.

Might find a way to get a settlement and nda tho

Again, let's say you can swing the $5-10K retainer to start with, for a good lawyer. CVS can throw 100 good lawyers at you. Let's say you go to trial and somehow win the case, at which point you settle up your legal fees of $100,000. Then what, the jury or judge has to put a value on your damages, because in the legal system, monetary compensation is all you can get. They can't really grab CVS and put them in jail. So, how much do you think is fair? How about $10K, why not $100K or $10 million?

This. I was discriminated against by a smaller chain who was cleaning house of the "old timers". Lawyer told me I had a case but not to bother with a lawsuit. Corporations have deep pockets and will draw out the litigation till the claimant is bankrupted and can no longer afford to fight. It's how these places do business.... The particular chain I worked for was well known for both sexual and age discrimination but knew they could get away with it, and did so at every opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How do you differentiate between ageism and declining performance?

• Hmm
Well- when management tells you that their "initiative" to appeal to millennials has essentially put a target on the back of anyone in the pharmacy over 50. A poll supposedly showed that millennials prefer pharmacists more their own age instead of "boomers". Plus we were more highly paid than most of the young 'uns. Two good reasons to clean house. 16 years of NO customer complaints, then suddenly a slew of complaints (all anonymous, of course) against certain individuals. Didn't just happen at my store. Pharmacist at the store on the other side of town approx my ages was terminated about the same time. I saw the writing on the wall and quit first...

Well- when management tells you that their "initiative" to appeal to millennials has essentially put a target on the back of anyone in the pharmacy over 50. A poll supposedly showed that millennials prefer pharmacists more their own age instead of "boomers". Plus we were more highly paid than most of the young 'uns. Two good reasons to clean house. 16 years of NO customer complaints, then suddenly a slew of complaints (all anonymous, of course) against certain individuals. Didn't just happen at my store. Pharmacist at the store on the other side of town approx my ages was terminated about the same time. I saw the writing on the wall and quit first...
Wait, the public cares about pharmacists at all? I haven't worked retail in a long, long time, but I'd guess the majority of people can't tell the difference between a pharmacist and the guy fixing the plumbing in that tiny bathroom where you store the old files from the 3 independents your chain bought.

It still surprises me how some pharmacists have worked for 30 years and still cannot afford to retire. They went to pharmacy school when it was dirt cheap and then they went thru the pharmacy boom when salary skyrocketed. Where did all the money go?

It still surprises me how some pharmacists have worked for 30 years and still cannot afford to retire. They went to pharmacy school when it was dirt cheap and then they went thru the pharmacy boom when salary skyrocketed. Where did all the money go?
An old PIC I knew retired in his late 60s. He also owned a small contracting business on the side for decades. Lasted about 3 months into retirement before going broke gambling and came back to his old job.

• Wow
A pharmacist fighting to get back into CVS in 2023 is not something I thought I would see.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Wait, the public cares about pharmacists at all? I haven't worked retail in a long, long time, but I'd guess the majority of people can't tell the difference between a pharmacist and the guy fixing the plumbing in that tiny bathroom where you store the old files from the 3 independents your chain bought
It's not that "the public" doesn't care. Some of my former customers supposedly cried when they heard I was gone since I seemed to be the only one there who got certain things accomplished (insurance stuff, making sure special order meds got ordered, etc.) and they knew what they were in for. And they were right- the place went through 3 "newly minted" pharmacists to replace me in the first six months after I left since none of them could handle the actual work, having been sold the dream that they'd be sitting at a desk doing clinical tasks and rounding with the medical team all day rather than any real "hands on" pharmacy. It's ultimately corporate and management who thinks everyone is expendable. And that will never change.

Yeah-
A pharmacist fighting to get back into CVS in 2023 is not something I thought I would see.
Yeah- kind of like a damned soul trying to get back through the gates of hell.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Well....with the effort I put in now vs what I get paid, kind of stupid to retire. That was not always the case though.

Yeah, no one should. I think these pharmacists felt disrespected. They have spent 20-30 years at CVS and then they were discarded like a used condom.

Wouldn’t they get unemployment benefits? It is not like they freely left but they got fired.

Well....with the effort I put in now vs what I get paid, kind of stupid to retire. That was not always the case though.

I used to work at a training store as an intern so I got to meet a bunch of pharmacists. I didn’t meet one pharmacist who liked working as a pharmacist

One guy in his 40s had to keep on working because his wife refuses to work. He kept on making mistakes. No store wanted him so he had to travel farther and farther for work.

Another guy in his late 60s couldn’t handle the workload but had to keep on working because he “wanted to go on hot dates”.

One pharmacist who graduated from my school and had trouble standing kept on warning me about how “clinical pharmacy” was a big lie and how his professors lied to him.

This short temper pharmacist had to keep on working to support her “idiot” adult son

My manager kept on telling us how she should have went to med school or at least became a nurse. She wanted to prescribe…perhaps “another life” she would tell us.

I told myself then that I would do whatever it takes to not become one of them. I walked out of that store and never looked back.

Would never go into pharmacy now, nor would I EVER recommend it to ANYONE. I was there through some of the "good years" (if there really ever was such a time). Don't regret not being a doctor as that never interested me. But pharmacy does indeed suck, and it's only going to get worse. Honestly, the future of pharmacy is doing things as cheaply as possible for maximum profit. Eventually CVS and Walgreens will lobby for the passage of legislation which makes the pharmacist unnecessary. Techs will get paid $15 an hour and do the same job we do. No one cares about the safety aspects, especially the chains. I'd predict in 20-30 years the profession of pharmacy will not exist at all. And honestly I don't care- in the next year or two I'm out of the game entirely. Gonna be someone else's problem.

Last edited:

On GME calls and BTC bro.
Vroom vroom, look at my brand new Tesla Model X bro

-letsquitpharm

• Haha

Idk about OP but for some, it's the only option to get back on their feet though. At least until the 300k student loans are down to a manageable level.

How do you differentiate between ageism and declining performance?
A very good question, food for thought! As a senior citizen, and a pharmacist for 38 years, this would be my and my manager's main concern. I guess, it should be determined, on a case by case basis. I know some 40 yo, I wouldn't trust with my families prescriptions.
At 63, I still have the stamina, mental acuity, and work ethic to be trusted with people's lives.
My hope for the future is to maintain my clinical know-how, AND also to know when to quit, and not endanger my patients.

I’m sorry but at some point some dinosaurs need to retire, drop to part time at least, etc.
Tired of us “Young bloods” having to carry them
Hey, I deeply resemble that remark! I work at a regional, level 2 trauma, medical center. I work with a whole lot of "young bloods", I respect and appreciate most of them, and I can still run circles around them both in knowledge and work ethics.

• Haha
A point well made. Everyone doesn't always make the best financial decisions, people often have bad investments, financial setbacks, maybe a divorce or two! Many causes for not being able to retire.
I have continuously worked, at a high level, for 38 years. I live in a $1.5 million home, mortgage all paid up. Still with the OG wife. I do love what I do, (because) I have never worked retail. It's not always about the money.
I am an immigrant, appreciate all the opportunities afforded me. Plus my wife will divorce me, if I stay home every day!!!

Attempting a law suite against a large employer, is futile. Ask me how I know! Like others have said, you might be 100% in the right, but you have no chance against CVS.
When I was "let go" from a large hospital group, specifically for being too old, I was furious. I contacted an employment lawyer, went in for a consultation. He listened to my story, to all my evidence.
He said: "son, (he was very old) I hear you, with age discrimination claim. But you have to be either a minority female, or a transgender going through gender reassignment, to have any chance in court". As an old white guy, I was done. I said, I can't be the former, but the latter, I can give it a try!
You can't make up this chit. There is a lot of injustice in this world.
I left to go on to bigger and better things. They did you a favor, just move on.
I'm sure your termination had nothing to do with your willingness to say stuff like this in a public forum

• Haha
I used to work at a training store as an intern so I got to meet a bunch of pharmacists. I didn’t meet one pharmacist who liked working as a pharmacist

One guy in his 40s had to keep on working because his wife refuses to work. He kept on making mistakes. No store wanted him so he had to travel farther and farther for work.

Another guy in his late 60s couldn’t handle the workload but had to keep on working because he “wanted to go on hot dates”.

One pharmacist who graduated from my school and had trouble standing kept on warning me about how “clinical pharmacy” was a big lie and how his professors lied to him.

This short temper pharmacist had to keep on working to support her “idiot” adult son

My manager kept on telling us how she should have went to med school or at least became a nurse. She wanted to prescribe…perhaps “another life” she would tell us.

I told myself then that I would do whatever it takes to not become one of them. I walked out of that store and never looked back.
I was P4 and working as an intern at our VA medical center, I had to work 12 hours a day, EVERY Saturday and Sunday, to pay my bills. Every pharmacist at this VAMC was unhappy with their jobs, even though they had an easy workload, with great benefits and pension. One pharmacist told me, you almost have to shoot your coworker to be fired from the VA. They would tell me to get out while I could. I would go home depressed, as I was 6 months from graduation. AND this was 1985!

• Wow
This is what unions are for. Until this industry understands that, the erosion of QOL and safety will continue.

This is what unions are for. Until this industry understands that, the erosion of QOL and safety will continue.
Kaiser pharmacists are paid well and have good working conditions due to their union but retail pharmacists would never benefit from unionizing. At least according to my former coworkers.

• Hmm
Kaiser pharmacists are paid well and have good working conditions due to their union but retail pharmacists would never benefit from unionizing. At least according to my former coworkers.
It did work decently for Chicago wags union. When they did layoffs in 2020, seniority was one of the main criteria for layoffs rather than other districts where it was performance based in other districts.

Lots of good staff got canned in Chicagoland and plenty of sloths were kept onboard because of seniority.

Most Kaiser pharmacists are outpatient. I would not call their working conditions good.