Terrible semester please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a second year undergrad. This is the worst semester I have had in my life. Family life isn't well and on top of that my grades are horrible. I had to drop my genetics course in fear that I could only pull in a C. Now I don't think I am gonna even get that in my orgo I class. I am not a terrible student, it's just one of those semesters I hear so much about. I missed the drop date for organic, so I guess I have to take what I can get and retake it over the summer. My question is should I go onto orgo II if the prof(chem chair) lets me take it next semester? or should I wait... take a smemester of easy gen eds... then take orgo I in the first summer semester followed by orgo II in second summer semester? I know I can pull an A off in this class under normal circumstances. My concern is that I may not be prepared to move on... yet if I dont do well next semester maybe I will have an advantage in retaking them both this summer(which is accelerated). What do you all think?

I do know one thing I refuse to give up the fight over one semester of bad work.

Also my school works it where the old grade is not shown if you retake a class....all that is on your transcript is an R for retake foloowed by the new grade

Members don't see this ad.

What school are you going to? I can totally help you out with class/teacher ideas or notes if it's NIU.

iwillbesoon said:
What school are you going to? I can totally help you out with class/teacher ideas or notes if it's NIU.

I wish it were NIU...Im at Lewis University

Members don't see this ad :)
No idea where that even is....
My only advice for you is to try and get in (and understand) as much Orgo as you can before the MCAT....I had hardly any, and it def. hurt me some.

In my experience, I made it thru Orgo 1 marginally okay - but Orgo 2 turned into a nightmare b/c all the crap from the first one that I didn't get came back in Orgo 2.

iwillbesoon said:
No idea where that even is....
My only advice for you is to try and get in (and understand) as much Orgo as you can before the MCAT....I had hardly any, and it def. hurt me some.

In my experience, I made it thru Orgo 1 marginally okay - but Orgo 2 turned into a nightmare b/c all the crap from the first one that I didn't get came back in Orgo 2.

Thats what I am afraid of. Thx for the response.

By the way Lewis U is in Romeoville. It's a smaller catholic university.

mastamark said:
Hello all,
I am a second year undergrad. This is the worst semester I have had in my life. Family life isn't well and on top of that my grades are horrible. I had to drop my genetics course in fear that I could only pull in a C. Now I don't think I am gonna even get that in my orgo I class. I am not a terrible student, it's just one of those semesters I hear so much about. I missed the drop date for organic, so I guess I have to take what I can get and retake it over the summer. My question is should I go onto orgo II if the prof(chem chair) lets me take it next semester? or should I wait... take a smemester of easy gen eds... then take orgo I in the first summer semester followed by orgo II in second summer semester? I know I can pull an A off in this class under normal circumstances. My concern is that I may not be prepared to move on... yet if I dont do well next semester maybe I will have an advantage in retaking them both this summer(which is accelerated). What do you all think?

I do know one thing I refuse to give up the fight over one semester of bad work.

Also my school works it where the old grade is not shown if you retake a class....all that is on your transcript is an R for retake foloowed by the new grade

how are you really going to do cramming a year of o chem into 3 months during two summer semesters? that's a damn lot of o chem. you say you'll do well in a normal semester, but the summer isn't normal. you're only a sophomore- why not just take it all your junior year? you'll still have it all for the MCAT, and it will be more fresh your mind.

I am sorry for your troubles. I would suggest finishing the semester as good as possible and try get things back on track. Next year retake those classes that you did worse in than you thought. At my school, the retake replaces the bad grade, BUT it does appear on your transcript. I know a lot of people are scared about going an extra year of school, but if you are really passionate about medicine ONE year in your WHOLE lifetime is not that big of difference. You owe it to yourself and your future patients to get the BEST base education from College that you can take to Medical School. When asked about the poor grades and retakes, tell the truth, but say that you overcame the stresses and succeeded. Good LUCK!!!

mastamark said:
Hello all,

A dropped course is WAY worse than a C.

I got plenty of C's (including genetics) but NEVER had a dropped class.

Why are you already planning on retaking a course? You are only halfway through the school year. If you retake a C, you are wasting your time.

If you don't think you can make good grades on Orgo II, don't take it.

Try Physics or something easier in the Spring. *Well, Physics for me was one of the easier class. But depends on your preference on what is easy for you.

Summer classes are more intense as of time, I think they're somewhat easier. Just 1 test every week. Why not?

As for dropping, DON'T!

Study as much as you can, go to Suplemental Instruction class, study with 1 or 2 other people, go to the professor, do whatever it take to get at least a C.

You still got time.