Terribly behind in a class...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pose

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this semester has been rough. I was dumped by a girlie of 3 years (we had lived together for 2), and consequently removed by the Police, leaving me homeless and with no belongings. I found a place to live and such, whine whine.
Among other things, I had back surgery. I went to Africa and was then hospitalized for a bacterial infection. I also work full time as a tech.

Now, I'm so far behind in a microeconomics course, that I've missed every lecture for the midterm, 2 quizzes, and 2 homework assignments. I mean, I'm so behind that I was unable to answer any of the HW questions, or practice problems. I tried to read the book (90 pages), but couldn't comprehend a page of it. The midterm was due to happen tomorrow, but the professor told me I can skip it, and he'll weigh my final more heavily. The problem being, of course, that I don't know where my grade will stand ultimately, and if I can even catch up enough to do well on the final.

With work, I generally take only 4 class + lab. So by dropping this class (mid-semester, unfortunately) I'll be below 12 credits. So this has me in a...****ty situation.

Anyone been in this situation? I just feel like quitting school at this stage.

Members don't see this ad.

So this semester has been rough. I was dumped by a girlie of 3 years (we had lived together for 2), and consequently removed by the Police, leaving me homeless and with no belongings. I found a place to live and such, whine whine.
Among other things, I had back surgery. I went to Africa and was then hospitalized for a bacterial infection. I also work full time as a tech.

Now, I'm so far behind in a microeconomics course, that I've missed every lecture for the midterm, 2 quizzes, and 2 homework assignments. I mean, I'm so behind that I was unable to answer any of the HW questions, or practice problems. I tried to read the book (90 pages), but couldn't comprehend a page of it. The midterm was due to happen tomorrow, but the professor told me I can skip it, and he'll weigh my final more heavily. The problem being, of course, that I don't know where my grade will stand ultimately, and if I can even catch up enough to do well on the final.

With work, I generally take only 4 class + lab. So by dropping this class (mid-semester, unfortunately) I'll be below 12 credits. So this has me in a...****ty situation.

Anyone been in this situation? I just feel like quitting school at this stage.

Don't worry at all...just work extremely hard and try to do well on the final...I was in a similar situation with one of my courses, but the professor was so impressed by my performance on the final, that he gave me an A- as a final grade.

With all your issues, could you talk to the professor about taking an incomplete in the class and try to catch up the best you can? Also, if you are on financial aid, it doesn't make a difference if you drop it this late. I know it sucks that you would be below 12, but you can make up the class in the summer or something like that. Its not that big of a deal with everything you've been going through.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
micro economics is one of those classes where it's gonna be hard to learn everything in a short period of time unless you sit down and do a lot of practice problems. Can you still withdraw from a class? I think taking a W would be a lot better than an F (obviously)

As much as you may hate it...sounds like the ideal late drop situation, or you can try the begging method. I have no idea how large your class sizes are. My microecon course was a massive lecture... I can't be much of a console either because it was one of those courses that I just naturally got and never had to open a book (one of the very few for me) Dropping below fulltime for one semester doesn't really do much. Insurance generally doesn't abandon you or anything....sometimes life throws crap at you and you have to make concessions...all there is to it. You'll be fine in the end, even if you have to retake a micro economics course. At least it isn't some pre-req science course

Take the W. If you don't have any other W's on your transcript, 1 will be pretty much a non-issue. Don't let a D/F get into your GPA.

I spoke to the professor.

He wants me to take the midterm, simply so I can see what I need to catch up on for the final.

"We'll just make sure your final counts for more points."

The final is tomorrow morning, so I'm going just to get my copy. The last day to withdraw from classes is April 20th. Maybe I should see how difficult it is to catch up, and decide after a couple of weeks? This semester bites.

Thanks for the advice