Test Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numberrronee

SebastiaN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
who has GAD and how are you able to manage it? ill do every homework problem and study my butt off for the test and when it comes test time, i loose alot of it, of course until im done! anyone else have this problem..it just seems like a waste of time i spent to get a B or even maybe a C on the test when i worked my ass off

Members don't see this ad.

I think we all get GAD right before a test. I use to get a heavy case the night before.....I'd literally cry my eyes out, bawling that this ONE test will ruin my dreams. I'd cry then get real hostile:laugh: People say I was real entertaining though:p

Yeah, well I'm over that. Now I just relax and breath and believe that I know the material and I'll do fine. I had two tests today and I feel really good.

Also, say a little prayer before the test. I turn it over and put my hands over my eyes and ask God to bless my mind so I can recall all that I learned:D Worked this morning, twice

I have the same problem. I need an answer as well. I study like 4-6 hrs. a day and more on test times. It makes me mad as well to spend that much time and know the material only to come out with a B or C

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have much test anxiety... I think it all boils down to being comfortable with the material..

I had test anxiety so bad that the morning of an exam, I'd wake up in extreme pain from my stomach, and diarrhea, and the intense, intense pain (worst of my life, and I've had a lot of bad things in my life) wouldn't let up until a few hours after the exam, and I'd have to run to the washroom cuz of the diarrhea like for half an hour out of every 3 hour exam, and the night before the exam I'd sleep maybe an hour, I'd try to drink to get to sleep but that wouldn't help, either -- I'd be stumbling the morning of the exam, not able to even walk properly because of it --

so now I have sedatives so that I can sleep and not have such severe stomach cramps. If you're in a situation like mine, I highly recommend them. They're not good for long-term use (at least, mine aren't), but for exams, damn.

Of course, they *are* sedatives. But if it's between that and being in extreme pain during an exam and missing half an hour out of every 3 hr exam to go to the washroom and get only an hour of sleep the night before, I'd rather have my brain on sedatives.

I don't have any other anxiety problem, it's Only with exams.

And whoever says it has anything to do with being comfortable with the material, you're dead wrong. It doesn't matter if I know the stuff thoroughly. Because you can know it inside-out and still worry.

Have you guys tried exercise and meditation? Sometimes, if you focus a majority of your time on some inevitable event in the future that causes stress (i.e., exam) then you can gradually ramp up a feeling of unrest which can quickly snowball out of control and turn into extreme anxiety. I don't have this problem, so i can't attest this solution firsthand, but I have friends who turn to exercise and meditation to help distract them from their worries in life and the impending doom of a "tanked" exam.

I couldn't sit down to meditate if my life depended on it, but exercise helps me feel better in all aspects of life. Plus, look at it this way, if you're getting C's on your exams anyway, then that one hour a day to exercise couldn't really do anything but help (since it seems like you guys already spend an exorbitant amount of time studying anyway).

Good luck!

What you guys should do is go into the test not caring. When I took Calculus some years ago, I used to study all the time. I would do every problem and practice test timed. Thus, this made me place A level expectations on myself. And guess what I got on my first test? an F. Later on in the course, I stopped caring(meaning I didn't expect perfect scores but I continued to study the same) as much and ironically I started topping the class. So the morle of the story is, even though you gave it your all, when test time comes its out of your hands. You studied as much as you can and you should just let it go, what ever score you get is what you get. This way you become much more calm and focus on the test questions, not what will happen if you bomb the test.