Test Day Questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyroadrunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking my test this Friday. I did a "dry run" but it happened to be at a different testing center (rescheduled the test and this was the only center left) so I have a few questions that were either unanswered at the test run and that my anxiety needs answered. So....
1) Am I allowed to bring a snack to keep in my locker for the break?
2) Are you allowed to open your locker during the break or will they be concerned about you checking your phone.
3) Can you check your phone?
4) If you need more paper, do you just raise your hand? At the "dry run" the people "watching" the room weren't really watching, and were outside the testing room. How does one go about this?
5) If my appointment starts at 12, what time should I show up?
6) Any last minute advice to help me not to cry on test day? :)

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep you can bring a snack/small lunch for your break, and you'll keep it in your locker. During break they let you access your locker containing whatever (phone/notes/food). I was able to use my phone and flip through my QR notes during the break. If you run out of paper just raise your hand and they will bring you more, they monitor you from outside the room. My center periodically walked and checked each station too. The first two sheets lasted me up until the break and I got new sheets before RC. I would say arrive about 30 min beforehand. My test started at 12:30 and I arrived a little before 12, they checked me in and I started a bit before my scheduled time. Overall, just stay calm and do your best. I felt like I did so poorly after the natural sciences and perceptual but I gathered myself and didn't let that affect my RC and QR. Even then, I was happy with all my scores so don't worry! Best of luck!

So I'm taking my test this Friday. I did a "dry run" but it happened to be at a different testing center (rescheduled the test and this was the only center left) so I have a few questions that were either unanswered at the test run and that my anxiety needs answered. So....
2) Are you allowed to open your locker during the break or will they be concerned about you checking your phone.
4) If you need more paper, do you just raise your hand? At the "dry run" the people "watching" the room weren't really watching, and were outside the testing room. How does one go about this?

Thanks everyone!
I basically took it last night.

1) Yes, you get a locker upon arrival that you could store anything, i.e. snacks.
2) You have 1 "announced" break that is your lunch, which last for 30 minutes, but you can technically take as many breaks as you want, but be ware that your test time will continue to roll, unless you are on the announced break.
3) No, you cannot check your phone and it can lead to termination of test, if suspected.
4) Technically, they can bring you paper but usually will not as they are busy with other students. My proctor said: "its best that you come outside to get the paper rather than waiting for us to see your hands, as its usually faster."
5) You can show up anytime before 12 and take the test though they recommend 15-30 minutes early arrival. If you want to get it over with sooner, you can show up even at 10 AM; if they have empty seats, they'll let you take it. But make sure you are not later than 12. The process of checking you in, getting 6 fingerprints, pictures, checking your ID's and body scan can take 15-20 minutes.
6) There is no need to cry lol. Don't eat a heavy breakfast and take deep breathes. Don't worry about the test being too long either, 5 hours will fly like 5 minutes. If you're stuck on a problem, DONT keep wasting time on it. Answer, mark it and quickly go to the next one. Definitely use the scheduled breaks and tutorial to draw your grids for hole punch and cube counting. Finally, make sure you use the "strike out" feature with the mouse's right click.

You'll do fine if you prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks everyone!
Be careful with the paper situation.. they never brought me any.. I kept having to run out of the room and ask for some at the front desk. Really killed my time for QR section :(

1) Yes, you are definitely allowed to keep a snack in your locker! get something that's quick to munch on during your scheduled break!
2) You are allowed to check your locker but I don't really remember if you can check your phone. I would just ask your proctors before you start the exam.
3&4) They will bring you more paper but, like everyone else said that depends on how closely the proctors are watching the room. I just tried to budget my two sheets during the first 1/2 of the exam one sheet for sciences and one sheet for the PAT and then asked for new sheets when I left for my break and did the same thing... used one sheet for each section that remained. The key is that if you see you are running out of room ask then! Don't wait till you've filled up all your paper and then get caught in a pickle.
5) I would show up at least a half an hour early! My testing center actually called me the night before to remind me to be there at 7:30 am ( i took mine at 8:00 am)
6) My advice would be to make sure you eat some breakfast before you get there! Drink some water when you get there, go to the restroom, and calm yourself (take some deep breaths and do a power pose). Also, dress in layers so if you get too hot/cold you can take something off/ put something on, being cold or uncomfortable makes it really hard for me to focus.

I was allowed to check my phone during the break so this varies I suppose. I looked over units and exactly what I had checked showed up on the exam. They were super strict about not writing anything (memory dumping they called it lol) on the scrap paper until the tutorial is over. I just drew out the boxes for PAT at the end of the sciences section. Yes I would expect every center lets you cross out (super helpful for PAT) and highlight for reading (again extremely helpful).I would definitely use restroom right before going into the exam, watch your water intake, I had some food+ sweets and realized I was really hungry during break. Took almost entire break and I'm glad I did because I was getting a headache and started getting tired after the first half of the test.
The exam experience IMO varies but if you studied and took a few practice tests, it won't take you by surprise.

Good luck!