Test lists on CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroJaguar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am applying for internship this fall, and applying primarily to neuropsychology-focused sites. Do you recommend I include a separate section within my CV with a list of tests I have administered/written reports using, or should I just list the tests within the description of each position I've had? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My personal response: I (as best I can recall) did not include a list of tests I'd given on my CV or in the practica descriptions. I only listed them on the APPI and left it at that.

I don't find tests lists to be particularly helpful (above and beyond the APPI) when reviewing applications.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your time! I won't include them on my CV.

Reactions: 1 user
Different, related question: what about for other scenarios not as organized as APPI, such as practica applications and post-doc applications?

I could see a lists of tests administered possibly being helpful for practicum applications. But rather than on your CV, maybe have it available as a supplemental document.

I wouldn't include it for postdoc apps. In my experience, any site interested in that included it in their site-specific application.

Reactions: 1 users
IMO: It is almost never a good idea to list which tests you are competently trained upon. Many tests share similar core features to the extent that some are nearly identical(e.g., JLO & NEPSY). It may be an error to specifically state that one is competent is X. Such statements may lead a reader to conclude that the author is competent in X, so clearly they are incompetent in unlisted tests. Conclusions of incompetence, therefore, may be inaccurate and misleading. If one doesn’t know the test, one should just say it when the issue comes up.

Long story short: never start it by telling people what you don’t know. It’s a bad selling point.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen it and think it is okay a) early in your graduate school career and b) to highlight some kind of special training you got. For example, if you want to say you've given 50 SCIDs in your description of your research battery or you are familiar with the NIH Toolbox battery and have given it 50 times, then that is telling someone something unique that you know how to do that your run-of-the-mill graduate student does not.

If a site asks for it, include it as a supplement, though I think this has been moot since things went electronic. Back in the dark ages of paper applications and mailing all materials, it was asked for by some sites, typically as a site-specific request.

Related: I'm also applying to internship this year and have been refining my CV. In addition to seeing people include a list of tests/measures they've given in their CV, I've also seen people list off the different treatment modalities they've provided. Is this recommended/necessary?

Related: I'm also applying to internship this year and have been refining my CV. In addition to seeing people include a list of tests/measures they've given in their CV, I've also seen people list off the different treatment modalities they've provided. Is this recommended/necessary?

No. This should also be evident in other parts of the CV. For example, when listing practica, you'll usually briefly describe the population you worked with and what you did. Try to avoid redundancy in the CV.

Reactions: 2 users

I agree w/ WisNeuro that your exposure to various treatment modalities should be evidence from the clinical and/or research experience sections of the CV. However, if you've done something significant and unusual outside your training program (eg, a special weeklong training course, or a certification in something like biofeedback or MBSR), it's fine to note that separately. Just keep it brief and avoid "padding" the CV. Also, seek feedback on your CV from multiple perspectives.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, WisNeuro and MamaPhd! I appreciate the feedback!