Step II Test takers now v. Later

Started by medlaw06
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am posting this thread here b/c by mistake I posted in on the Step 1 portion without realizing there is a step 2 sub-forum...anyway, I have my Step 2 in exactly 2 weeks and i am getting a little nervous since I am taking the q-bank (kaplan) and getting 56% on 1 test and then a 72% on the next which COMPLETELY baffles the hell out of me....anyway, that was NOT the reason for this post, but something I just wanted to get off my chest!!! 😡 😡 😕 😕 🙁 🙁


the REAL reason for this thread is that i am hoping someone can answer this question for me since i am confused (apparently, that's the theme of the day)..is there a difference in scores b/w test takers who take their step soon (i.e. july-september) v. those who take it later (i.e. jan-mar)...in other words, lets say i get 70% right on the exam and i get a 220 if i took it in july v. taking that SAME exam with the same questions and percentile correct and such, will my score be higher/lower if i had taken it in feb? in yet another words, is there a difference in "grading/scoring/curving" the exam based on when you take it...

this MAY be a repeat thread, i don't know and i am not even sure if anyone would know the answer to such a thing, but i figured i would throw it out there anyways...if this IS a repeat thread, could someone tell me where i would find the OTHER thread....

and, oh by the way, would anyone know approximately how a 70% right ON THE ACTUAL exam correlates to on the 3 digit score? just curious....

THANKS FOLKS!!!!

Need all your help/advice/input especially in these last few days (and more so considering I have no idea why i get 56% on 1 test and then a 72 on the next!?!?!?)
__________________
 
Your score is based on performance of medical students over a multiple year period (I believe three). Therefore, the NBME tries to make a bell-shaped curve with the median around 210-220 or so. So it would not matter when you took the exam this year.

Re: Qbank, I wouldn't worry too much about the score discrepancies. When I was using Qbank and USMLEWorld, I would get similar outliers. However, after you take a few hundred questions I think you'll find that your average becomes tighter.
 
Gfunk6 said:
Your score is based on performance of medical students over a multiple year period (I believe three). Therefore, the NBME tries to make a bell-shaped curve with the median around 210-220 or so. So it would not matter when you took the exam this year.

Re: Qbank, I wouldn't worry too much about the score discrepancies. When I was using Qbank and USMLEWorld, I would get similar outliers. However, after you take a few hundred questions I think you'll find that your average becomes tighter.


thanks g...i appreciate the info....it is really irritating that i get these odd scores....i feel better now....

anyway....would you (or anyone) know what a 70% correct on the ACTUAL exam "translates" to for a 3 digit scale....

I know...I know... I am asking a question that may have been beaten to death already on these forums, but a quick response won't hurt, right? :idea: :idea: 🙄 🙄