testing strategies?

Started by wigwam
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wigwam

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i was wondering if anyone could give some advice on strategies for thaking the test. so i've heard that you should skip the harder (and longer) questions, saving for last. is there anything else i should know?
 
Try to answer as many questions as possible. Then, when they say "five minutes remain" frantically guess on all the questions you skipped. I know, that's what I did...:laugh:
good luck!
 
How about pick the right answers?:laugh:
I think the most important strategy is to relax. I had myself so worked up for the first time I took the PCAT, and I could barely write me name correctly. Im taking the august one, and Im making sure I relax. Im sure Ill do a heck of a lot better. So I guess what Im saying is....relax👍

how do u relax? last exam i stopped reading and just filled in all answers by guessing cause i was gona cry in a second and my hand was gona fall off.....so plzz give me advice on how to relax...cause it gets so stressing...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how do u relax? last exam i stopped reading and just filled in all answers by guessing cause i was gona cry in a second and my hand was gona fall off.....so plzz give me advice on how to relax...cause it gets so stressing...

As a preventative measure, manage your time better so that you have fewer to zero questions to frantically guess.

If things get really bad though, I found that taking a very short 15-30 second break calms me down a little. Don't do this often though.😉
 
thanx...i think ill do better this time cause i prepared ALOT for it...im just praying studying pays of...and i dont make stupid mistakes 🙂
 
Here's one...

During reading comprehension, there are 6 prompts to read. Only 5 of them are graded (one is experimental). If people have trouble (time-wise) with this, they normally don't get to finish the last prompt, or only partially finish it.

Knowing this, I highly doubt the test-makers will make the final prompt the experimental one. I would guess that the experimental prompt would be somewhere before it. If you agree, and if you have problems completing the reading comprehension section, then I would say do the final prompt first. Then go back and do the first five. Who knows...maybe you'll get lucky, do #6, only get time to finish 1-4 after that, and have the 5th prompt be the experimental one.

I guess this may work on the other sections too. After all, most of us know the information. It's mainly a matter of being able to apply it within a very short time frame.

Just a theory I came up with....
 
i dont know if this is a good strategy or not, but i think it helps.

i answer all the questions in the booklet first and skips the ones i dont know, then about 10 mins remaining i bubble all of them in. this also helps because if i skip one earlier, i go back to it while im bubbling in.

as for reading comp, i like to read the first sentence of each paragraph first. (my roommate took the lsat last year and gave me this advice from her kaplan classes. basically the same reading comp section as the pcat except not science related passages) then i read the question and should narrow down where the answer is. i wouldnt waste my time by reading the whole thing first.

thats just my 2 cents 🙂
 
For the reading section I underline details that look like they may be important. Then when searching they are quick to find.
Sleep would be helpful too. Hope I can get some 😀