Testing Tables/Setup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boomshakalaka

humansplainer
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Testing folks, do y’all have any recommendations/advice for testing tables/setups? I’m in a small <200sqft space and using the room just for interviews/test administration. The cheap, pragmatic part of me wants to just buy a 36x36 plastic folding table, 2-3 chairs, and call it a day. However, I don’t want the sterility to make this a completely uncomfortable testing environment. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

My favorite test set up is an L-shaped desk. I do a lot of assessment and I do think comfort and even “look” matters. Rooms that are more comfortable (nicer chairs, solid table), are more comfortable for everyone involved. It’s not *that* expensive to set up a decent testing room.

I will also add that if you only have 2 chair options make sure at least one does not have arms. The armed “office” chairs are narrow and present a challenge for some clients.

Reactions: 2 users
Although I gave 2 or 3 during my faculty/post-doc year, I vowed from that point forward that I would kick some one in the nards if ever had to WAIS time again...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You have to have ada compliant tables and chairs. There’s height and weight requirements. Iirc: the lower height thing is also a requirement.

And no door knobs.

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on population you need to consider what range of height options you want available. On our clinic we have one nice but also very expensive electric table that goes up and down. It’s fantastic. Could also use tables of 2 different heights in an L configuration where one basically serves as a shelf and the other used for testing: alternate them as needed for height.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to have ada compliant tables and chairs. There’s height and weight requirements. Iirc: the lower height thing is also a requirement.

And no door knobs.

This makes sense to me, but I have never seen it any assessment setting I’ve been in. What’s considered ADA compliant for a table?

Ah, ok. This applies to tables that are affixed to the wall or floor. I thought your earlier comment was curious, my spouse works with ADA compliance and it didn’t make sense given our setting.

Typical tables are an appropriate height even if you follow these guidelines that are meant for attached tables.

I don’t think there are any ADA regulations to overcome in a typical testing environment as long as the building (including doorways, knobs) are ADA compliant.

My favorite test set up is an L-shaped desk. I do a lot of assessment and I do think comfort and even “look” matters. Rooms that are more comfortable (nicer chairs, solid table), are more comfortable for everyone involved. It’s not *that* expensive to set up a decent testing room.

I will also add that if you only have 2 chair options make sure at least one does not have arms. The armed “office” chairs are narrow and present a challenge for some clients.

This is actually the set up I was thinking of. Just got back from ikea and it was furniture overload!

Although I gave 2 or 3 during my faculty/post-doc year, I vowed from that point forward that I would kick some one in the nards if ever had to WAIS time again...

Bahaha my feelings every single time I give picture span on the wisc

This actually crossed my mind. There were a couple of chairs I tried where I immediately had this mental image and said, “Nope!”

Reactions: 1 user
This is actually the set up I was thinking of. Just got back from ikea and it was furniture overload!

Bahaha my feelings every single time I give picture span on the wisc

This actually crossed my mind. There were a couple of chairs I tried where I immediately had this mental image and said, “Nope!”

Ah, IKEA. I am excited to furnish my temporary internship rental with ikea furniture and my husband is ...... not :)

Ah, ok. This applies to tables that are affixed to the wall or floor. I thought your earlier comment was curious, my spouse works with ADA compliance and it didn’t make sense given our setting.

Typical tables are an appropriate height even if you follow these guidelines that are meant for attached tables.

I don’t think there are any ADA regulations to overcome in a typical testing environment as long as the building (including doorways, knobs) are ADA compliant.

Can you ask your spouse about what we should know about the ADA and report back either here or in a thread? I think it would be super helpful.

Can you ask your spouse about what we should know about the ADA and report back either here or in a thread? I think it would be super helpful.

Sure, is there something specific you need to know? Or would you just like a pdf of the most recent guidelines?

Do you have some disagreement with my comment? Maybe you are in some specialized setting where the chairs and tables are bolted down and therefore the ADA guidelines apply?

Sure, is there something specific you need to know? Or would you just like a pdf of the most recent guidelines?

Do you have some disagreement with my comment? Maybe you are in some specialized setting where the chairs and tables are bolted down and therefore the ADA guidelines apply?

Honestly, I don't know what I don't know. And most of my knowledge is based upon brief observations of attorneys, and learning from other psychologists. Just sounds like you have a decent source of information in a subject that all psychologists should know about.

Honestly, I don't know what I don't know. And most of my knowledge is based upon brief observations of attorneys, and learning from other psychologists. Just sounds like you have a decent source of information in a subject that all psychologists should know about.

Ok, I couldn’t tell if your comment was sarcasm or I just needed more coffee.

We talked about it last night, and what I understood was that standard table heights are within the recommended height. Chair guidelines are typically for chairs that are affixed to the building. Most of the guidelines are about building access, such as ramps or handles (vs door knobs), width of doorways and hallways, etc. He did share that office set up should be mindful of how well a person in a wheelchair or with a walker can get around the room. However, you are not out of compliance as long as you can move furniture to accommodate appropriate walkways.

So, for example, you can have an over-crowded office if that is your thing as long as everything is not bolted down.

Peninsula desks have worked well for me. You can typically buy them separate or part of a larger set. IKEA also has some kitchen table combinations that work nicely due to the large open base and large tabletop surface area. As long as things are sturdy and not prone to wobble, there are lots of options.