castaway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2001
New York City
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey, I am interested in applying for EM in Texas, especially Houston, Dallas and El Paso. Could those of you who interviewed at these places (UTH, UTSW, TT) give me an idea of what's competitive for these places (board scores, grades for years 1, 2, 3, etc)? Thanks.

Dr. Zorders

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
3 TX programs are not very competative. UTSW is somewhat. You can have below avg numbers and still be considered esp if you are a TX resident. While I don't think they are all that comp., I do think that they are all good programs...

pman95

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2003
Somewhere, out there!
Status (Visible)
If you are interested...I would recommend doing a rotation at one of them (I would recommend either UT Southwestern/Parkland or Texas Tech). Also, from what I understand, UTHSC San Antonio will be add 2 civilian EM spots to the combined Army/Air Force Program at Brooke Army Medical Center - Fort Sam Houston (BAMC), Wilford Hall - Lackland AFB, and University Hospital. I would imagine this program will be very competitive with only 2 civilian spots.

I agree UT Southwestern is the most competitive in Texas, followed closely bu Texas A&M - Scott & White. Tesas Tech is good, but I think their location is a draw back for some, if not many applicants. UT Houston definitely is the least competitive in Texas...for now. They have a new PD who used to be assitand residency director at Cook County in Chicago - and he will probably establish UT Houston as a very respected and competitive program.

If you have only average grades or board scores...definitely do a rotation at one of the places you want to go to the most. A good performance over the month will get you quite far...and practically not consider numbers as much.

About the Ads

castaway

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2001
New York City
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the feedback, people.

I am glad UTH is not as competitive, because Houston would be a top pick for me (for family reasons). Incidentally, I attend Tech (2nd year), but have heard from 3rd years that getting in even for us is not easy. I definitely will do a rotation in El Paso, but when you interviewed there (if you did that is) did you get an indication of what kind of Step 1 score is considered "game"? Dr Wainwright of UTSW spoke to us when I was a 1st year and said something along the lines of 220 or better. Is that a SW thing or are Tech and UTH also as exclusionary? I am interested in cut-offs because I kind of want to establish a target as I continue to prep for the boards (right now my idea of doing well is not quite defined). Thanks.

pman95

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2003
Somewhere, out there!
Status (Visible)
Shoot to do the best you can possibly do. A better step one score will help you out tremendously. At the least, you want to be above the national average. A 220 is kind of like a 30 on the MCAT...almost an imaginary border line. Study hard for step one as it can be your friend when applying/interviewing for residencies.

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am from Texas and interviewed at UTSW. I also trained at UTHSCSA. They are definately starting a combined residency with BAMC (where I did my fourth year rotation). BAMC's program is AMAZING. truly. If you want some info, feel free to PM me.

Also, one of our fellows is starting in June at UTH as head of the ED U/S department.

Dr. Zorders

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
Also, one of our fellows is starting in June at UTH as head of the ED U/S department. [/B][/QUOTE]

No kidding, I had heard some buzz down here (UTH) about that...

roja

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
NYC--->San Francisco
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yup. I believe he starts in june. He is amazing and the sadness of him leaving is only countered with the knowledge that when I am done in a few years, I will be back in texas. :) He is really amazingly intelligent and the U/S fellowship here is amazing. So he will be a great asset to UTH.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.