1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

texas girl needs help! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by twd2013, Jul 31, 2011.

1. twd2013

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi guys,

I just need a little advice on what I need to do. I'm obviously new here, and haven't posted anything. I am currently about to start my third year of college and I'll be graduating a semester later than I should, so I have 5 more semesters of classes plus I will be taking summer classes and winter minis to get my credits done. My current GPA is 2.75 cumulative-- due to an F my first semester. But my GPA have been trending upwards-- I got "University Honors" last semester. I am about to start my studying for the Pharm Tech license to try to find some experience in the pharmacy field -- if anyone has advice on anything else I can do to get experience. I am planning on taking my PCAT next summer, and then applying shortly after that.

Can anyone suggest pharm schools that I would have the highest chances of getting into? (I'm planning on applying to UT, UH, Texas Tech, UofNE, Mass College)

Can someone also please give me the lowdown on what I need to study for the PCAT and the pharm tech test?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies for such a long post! :D:D:D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Benelli

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    The first thing you should do is retake the class you got an F in. That looks so bad on a transcript, and potentially worse if it is a pharmacy pre-requisite. Keep your GPA trending upwards, but just make sure that you are getting B- or higher in all your classes. As far as experience goes, you should find a pharmacy to shadow in. This will give you a lot of experience with what pharmacists do on a daily basis, and gives you insight into the various types of pharmacy. As far as getting a tech license, I personally don't think it is necessary since you can work in some pharmacies as a tech in training, and if you get into pharmacy school you have an intern license anyways. You would probably be doing yourself more of a favor by starting to study for the PCAT. I used the Kaplan guide, and I didn't do very high as far as a score (62), but I did the best I could. The technician test has several guides available on amazon. Apply to whatever pharmacy schools you want to go to. I applied to two, got into both of them, and my stats aren't particularly "outstanding." Another thing; If you can TA any classes, do any type of volunteering (special programs, museums, pharmacies), or work in any science-based position, it will all help you.

4. longhornpride

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    my sister is in a similar situation. anyone have any input?