texas girl needs help! PLEASE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twd2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just need a little advice on what I need to do. I'm obviously new here, and haven't posted anything. I am currently about to start my third year of college and I'll be graduating a semester later than I should, so I have 5 more semesters of classes plus I will be taking summer classes and winter minis to get my credits done. My current GPA is 2.75 cumulative-- due to an F my first semester. But my GPA have been trending upwards-- I got "University Honors" last semester. I am about to start my studying for the Pharm Tech license to try to find some experience in the pharmacy field -- if anyone has advice on anything else I can do to get experience. I am planning on taking my PCAT next summer, and then applying shortly after that.

Can anyone suggest pharm schools that I would have the highest chances of getting into? (I'm planning on applying to UT, UH, Texas Tech, UofNE, Mass College)

Can someone also please give me the lowdown on what I need to study for the PCAT and the pharm tech test?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and my apologies for such a long post! :D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

The first thing you should do is retake the class you got an F in. That looks so bad on a transcript, and potentially worse if it is a pharmacy pre-requisite. Keep your GPA trending upwards, but just make sure that you are getting B- or higher in all your classes. As far as experience goes, you should find a pharmacy to shadow in. This will give you a lot of experience with what pharmacists do on a daily basis, and gives you insight into the various types of pharmacy. As far as getting a tech license, I personally don't think it is necessary since you can work in some pharmacies as a tech in training, and if you get into pharmacy school you have an intern license anyways. You would probably be doing yourself more of a favor by starting to study for the PCAT. I used the Kaplan guide, and I didn't do very high as far as a score (62), but I did the best I could. The technician test has several guides available on amazon. Apply to whatever pharmacy schools you want to go to. I applied to two, got into both of them, and my stats aren't particularly "outstanding." Another thing; If you can TA any classes, do any type of volunteering (special programs, museums, pharmacies), or work in any science-based position, it will all help you.

my sister is in a similar situation. anyone have any input?