Texas Hiring Freeze Affect on Internships / Faculty Jobs / Student Funding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StellaB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - any news on the effect of Texas's state-wide hiring freeze announced yesterday? My friend is scheduled to interview for a faculty position there, and it is now completely up in the air. Could this also affect internship spots and/or grad student funding (e.g. if they treat grad positions as hired positions)?

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer- yes. I am currently on internship in Texas and the UCC is doing everything in it's power to ensure funding. It is up in the air at the moment- for internship, remember to rank as if there will be funding and "everything will work out", so to speak. The sites have until February 6th to figure out there situations, and will withdraw from the match if needed. Again, still rank based upon your preference of sites. Even if the Texas sites have to withdraw, the match system will just match you with your next choice.

I'm currently on internship, so this doesn't affect me, but I figured people might not have heard about this, so best to ask publicly. I feel so bad for everyone having to deal with this and the Federal freeze which is still affecting BOP sites!

Members don't see this ad :)
This was not part of anything I have heard about with respect to grad student assistantships. I have not heard of this slowing down interviews for UCC jobs (not internship/post-doc). I can't speak to the rest; there is a n=1 sample.

Last edited:
I received a verbal offer for a faculty position in Texas. Now, I was told the hiring freeze may affect that offer. I'm hoping verbal offers will still be honored.

My UCC in Texas just got exempt status for interns and funding for a new hire, so hopefully this ends up being state-wide!