Texas IV certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sofa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a tech/pharmacist intern looking to get IV certification for hospital usage, but I am having trouble directing myself.

For those who went to TX schools (or any other pharmacy school really), was there an IV cert class included in your curriculum?

So far, after looking around, I am limited to paying 700 for a certification class. As a student, I'm sure you all remember how that is painful.

Anybody with more information/direction on this matter? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a tech/pharmacist intern looking to get IV certification for hospital usage, but I am having trouble directing myself.

For those who went to TX schools (or any other pharmacy school really), was there an IV cert class included in your curriculum?

So far, after looking around, I am limited to paying 700 for a certification class. As a student, I'm sure you all remember how that is painful.

Anybody with more information/direction on this matter? Thanks.

There probably is an IV certification program in your pharmacy school. I know University of Houston does. Contact your college to learn more.

Hospitals usually contract a training course. Smaller ones may buying courses such such as this: http://www.pharmacyeducation.cc/beta/40hr_acpe.html. Where you do the knowledge portion, and then an IV pharmacist train and sign off on your hands on portion.

My school seems to be offering it as an EXTRANEOUS program where I have to pay an additional 700 for it. I checked with UH and it seems as if they have cancelled the class for outside students.

Regarding the link you sent me, am I able to just read the book and then get certified? It seems like I am paying for the textbook to bring to a class. I am so confused about what to do. The price does look a lot more attractive than the other options out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school seems to be offering it as an EXTRANEOUS program where I have to pay an additional 700 for it. I checked with UH and it seems as if they have cancelled the class for outside students.

Regarding the link you sent me, am I able to just read the book and then get certified? It seems like I am paying for the textbook to bring to a class. I am so confused about what to do. The price does look a lot more attractive than the other options out there.

The link, you (or your hospital) buy the book, you study and complete the written test. Then an IV certified pharmacist train you on the hands-on portion, and he signs off on the competency portion. Then both gets mailed in and you get a certificate back in the mail. If you intern at a hospital, your hospitals should be paying for the certification since texas law require you to be certified to make sterile preps.