You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Texas laying down the hammer on transfers
Started by BenJammin
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Seriously? That is horrible. Do they realize how much longer this will make the lines at the pharmacy? Like I don't already have to stay past my normal job hours every evening in January to do profile transfers.
I hope it's within 4 common operating hours.Got a text from my retail friend saying that the state board just passed a new rule saying when a pt requests a transfer it must be completed within 4 hours. What do you guys think about that? That sounds pretty wild!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think there should be a board rule on this because things happen, but I think its reasonable for a transfer to occur within 4 hours.
I do work in a state that has banned transfer incentive coupons and so forth, so I'm not sure if that is not the case elsewhere and driving up the number of transfers. But I can't tell you how many times I've had someone visiting needing a transfer and been unable to get it from the pharmacy. You can even fax it to me. Takes 2 minutes. We are all busy, we should have the professional courtesy to help out another pharmacist and just give the damn transfer. Hate the games with calling the patient to confirm, saying they're too busy and I'll have to call back later, etc.
I do work in a state that has banned transfer incentive coupons and so forth, so I'm not sure if that is not the case elsewhere and driving up the number of transfers. But I can't tell you how many times I've had someone visiting needing a transfer and been unable to get it from the pharmacy. You can even fax it to me. Takes 2 minutes. We are all busy, we should have the professional courtesy to help out another pharmacist and just give the damn transfer. Hate the games with calling the patient to confirm, saying they're too busy and I'll have to call back later, etc.
Or else?
How can the state board enforce such a rule?
Through reporting by the receiving pharmacist and/or patient. If I request a transfer from your pharmacy you have 4 hours to comply.
Most of the time, with these transfers, I send it via fax and the other pharmacy calls back 1-2 days later and says they didn't receive it.
This will be another oft ignored law. Sometimes you have patients who are not in a hurry. They just need to change pharmacies for insurance reasons, and they will tell you it is no hurry. I can't imagine the board being too strict about this because the public will not be hurt if a transfer is delayed.
This is about the most ridiculous new rule I have heard in a while, Texas BOP clearly has no clue what goes on in a busy high volume retail pharmacy, do they even have Pharmacists working for the board there?
Not from texas so how would they know when the request was put in? It's not like the customer knows the law. Just continue as usual.
Sounds like a board member is mad that he didn't get his transfer within 4 hours.
So what if I'm working at a 24 hour CVS and CVS does one of their "Let's update the servers for 8 hours" stunts. Someone calls from the Walgreens down the road to get a refill. I'm offline and the prescription is old enough that its not on the offline screen. I can't transfer it. Who pays the fine?
Hopefully there is an extenuating circumstances clause.
Hopefully there is an extenuating circumstances clause.
Source?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work in California. Not in retail, so I am not know a lot of laws, but in ca law book I never saw that transfers are mandatory for a pharmacist to procure. I always thought it was a curtesy. I am wrong here? Does taxas pharm law make it mandatory? As others stated too many obstacles to enforce this law.
I am sure this is a direct response to the CVS policy that requires the store to refuse the transfer initially and then call the customer to request them to change their mind and keep the Rx at CVS first. Corporate used to have a report on how many stores actually did that, it was about 1%.
How did they track it?I am sure this is a direct response to the CVS policy that requires the store to refuse the transfer initially and then call the customer to request them to change their mind and keep the Rx at CVS first. Corporate used to have a report on how many stores actually did that, it was about 1%.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app
I am sure this is a direct response to the CVS policy that requires the store to refuse the transfer initially and then call the customer to request them to change their mind and keep the Rx at CVS first. Corporate used to have a report on how many stores actually did that, it was about 1%.
Walgreens in my area have started doing this lately.
How did they track it?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile app
The results are in a spreadsheet broken down by area/region/district and all they way down to the store. Just like everything else. They track based on an outbound call made to the patient before the transfer occurs.
Got a text from my retail friend saying that the state board just passed a new rule saying when a pt requests a transfer it must be completed within 4 hours. What do you guys think about that? That sounds pretty wild!
Doesn't sound real. How will they enforce that? How would this help the patient in the end? Like it doesn't make sense.
Walgreens in my area have started doing this lately.
I must be lucky, I just usually wait on hold for an hour.
Is there a functional difference between a rule and a law? My intro to law powerpoint highlights "Law vs Rule" but there is no info on the slide...
Outside source states that a rule can be enforced as a law essentially... from my interpretation.
Just curious.
As far as the 4 hour thing... seems stupid. The state board's job is to ensure patient safety not set customer service standards. I guess there are pharmacists that probably ignore transfer requests altogether thus a new law that applies to everyone.
Outside source states that a rule can be enforced as a law essentially... from my interpretation.
Just curious.
As far as the 4 hour thing... seems stupid. The state board's job is to ensure patient safety not set customer service standards. I guess there are pharmacists that probably ignore transfer requests altogether thus a new law that applies to everyone.
The legislature makes laws. Administrative agencies make rules.
also I'm under the impression that agencies can only levy fines/restrictions against your license while laws results in civil and criminal charges
Anywhere I've worked the requesting pharmacy usually calls for the transfer because the patient requested it there. What happen in that scenario if for some reason the other pharmacy doesn't contact you for some time and 4 hours passes?
Anywhere I've worked the requesting pharmacy usually calls for the transfer because the patient requested it there. What happen in that scenario if for some reason the other pharmacy doesn't contact you for some time and 4 hours passes?
You report them to the state board.
I am sure this is a direct response to the CVS policy that requires the store to refuse the transfer initially and then call the customer to request them to change their mind and keep the Rx at CVS first. Corporate used to have a report on how many stores actually did that, it was about 1%.
Exactly why it was passed. Anyone who has ever tried to get a transfer from CVS knows the deal. I hate calling CVS. I'm usually on hold for 10 minutes minimum and then some H1B grad who doesn't speak english comes on the line. I can't understand why anyone uses CVS pharmacy.
This is about the most ridiculous new rule I have heard in a while, Texas BOP clearly has no clue what goes on in a busy high volume retail pharmacy, do they even have Pharmacists working for the board there?
I agree the Texas Board has no idea what they are doing. However this law makes sense. It's not my problem if you work in a high volume corporate factory pharmacy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad