Texas medical school match process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rreyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you in the process of ranking schools via the Texas Medical Match process, I greatly need your help.

I am in the process of ranking my schools and don't know whether to rank them based on where I really want to go or on my likelihood of getting in. For example, I have interviewed at Texas Tech, San Antonio, A&M and TCOM. Based on ranking by preference, my ranking would be 1. Tech 2. San Antonio, 3. A&M, 4. TCOM. However based on my likelihood of getting in I would rank in the following manner, 1.TCOM, 2. San Antonio, 3. Tech, 4.A&M.
Preferrablly, I'd prefer going to an M.D. school rather than a D.O. school and would therefore like to rank TCOM last. However, I'm beginning to wonder that if for some reason I am not considered 'acceptable' by the three M.D. schools, but considered 'acceptable' by TCOM, will ranking TCOM last hurt my chances of matriculating into this school.

Members don't see this ad.

rreyes said:
For those of you in the process of ranking schools via the Texas Medical Match process, I greatly need your help.

I am in the process of ranking my schools and don't know whether to rank them based on where I really want to go or on my likelihood of getting in. For example, I have interviewed at Texas Tech, San Antonio, A&M and TCOM. Based on ranking by preference, my ranking would be 1. Tech 2. San Antonio, 3. A&M, 4. TCOM. However based on my likelihood of getting in I would rank in the following manner, 1.TCOM, 2. San Antonio, 3. Tech, 4.A&M.
Preferrablly, I'd prefer going to an M.D. school rather than a D.O. school and would therefore like to rank TCOM last. However, I'm beginning to wonder that if for some reason I am not considered 'acceptable' by the three M.D. schools, but considered 'acceptable' by TCOM, will ranking TCOM last hurt my chances of matriculating into this school.

If you read the TMDSAS website, you will read that you're supposed to rank them in the order that you want to attend them. The schools do not know how you rank them.

Yeah, follow UTKB's advice and absolutely do not rank based on where you think you'll get in...that is the wrong way and will not help you in any way

Members don't see this ad :)
Additionally, it your preferances don't interfere with the process--so if you are accepted to your #4 and and # 2 choices, you will be put in your #2 school. Likewise, if you match at #5 only, you will be in that class.

It's biased towards your preference...not the schools.

Check out the TMDSAS site and the TEXAS applicant thread for detailed discussion.

you crazy Texans!! :rolleyes: :D

Read through the Texas thread...if you read enough, you'll learn A LOT! Besides, we're a great, crazy, and friendly bunch!

Like everyone else says, enter your list in the order you would like to attend. If tech is your top choice, put it first.

Someone else already said this, but......the schools don't know how you ranked them.
The school you match with will be the highest school you are accepted at.