TEXAS MEDICAL SCHOOLS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2004guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to rank them according to YOUR preference, how would you, and why?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you are looking for in a school. There are so many variables. Each school has its own unique flavor or personality. They are all good schools. Ones that show up in some magazines as being nationally ranked are UT Southwestern and Baylor College of Med.

I have friends that loved going to TCOM, UT Galveston, UT Houston, and UT San Antonio. Texas A&M is supposed to be a great school and the Aggies do have that whole Aggie family thing going on so if you would like to be an Aggie then go for it. Texas Tech is in Lubbock that believe it or not is actually a medical hub for a large cut of West Texas, East New Mexico, SE Colorado, and SW to W Oklahoma. So if you like the feel of W Texas then take a look at Tech. UT Galveston is strong program. It's on an island with dirty beaches but then again, you won't have too much time to dig your feet in the dirt. . . I mean sand. UT Houston and Baylor are in Houston, which in my mind is the best town in Texas if you aren't afraid of a little heat. They are both located in the Houston Medical Center which is larger than most downtowns in America. I can't think of a school with a better setting. Ben Taub, Herman Hospital (one of the 1st hospitals to have an ethics committee), Methods, Texas Childrens, St. Lukes, MD Anderson (Thank you Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP), and a number of other hospitals make this a prime choice. TCOM is Osteopathic. If you don't balk at MD's scoffing at you from time to time then TCOM is a fantastic choice. Fort Worth is small enough to help the easily distracted stay focused and Dallas is close by if you want to blow of some steam in an urban environment like Deep Ellum. Oh and about the scoffing, I have that have just finished rotations and the DO's seem to be more than holding their own among their MD peers. The DO's start interacting with patients at such an early stage that they seem to have an initial edge over their MD counterparts but that's temporary.

Like Texas Sam said, it depends upon what you are looking for in a school.

Personally, I liked Tech and West Texas. I lived in the city for way too long, and I need something quieter. Plus, no distractions which means plenty of time for studying. So if anyone else is going to Tech for the 2004 class let me know.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering what my chances are for getting into an Texas- allopathic or Osteopathic school for the class of 2012. I am a Asian female (US Citizen), Michigan resident. Basically, I am wondering which schools I may have a chance at if I apply.

Major: Psychology & Interdisciplinary Studies (Honors)
Minors: Health Promotion & Bioethics,
cGPA: 3.6
sGPA: 3.5
MCAT: 29P (VR:11, PS:9, BS:9, W:p)

I have done 1000 hours of Psych Lab research which is not medically related but certainly a good experience. I have mentored middle school science students, worked in a clinic helping veterans. I have also been a Psych undergraduate TA and also a RA for Summer Science camps for 2 years at MSU.

I would appreciate any input and advice on my situation. Thanks.

I am a MSU student and the grading system is with GPA (3 or 3.5 etc) and applying to TMDAAS. The grading system is A<B<C,D. Can you please explain how to convert the grades to TMDAAS?.

I was wondering what my chances are for getting into an Texas- allopathic or Osteopathic school for the class of 2012. I am a Asian female (US Citizen), Michigan resident. Basically, I am wondering which schools I may have a chance at if I apply.

I have done 1000 hours of Psych Lab research which is not medically related but certainly a good experience. I have mentored middle school science students, worked in a clinic helping veterans. I have also been a Psych undergraduate TA and also a RA for Summer Science camps for 2 years at MSU.

You replied to an 11yr old thread..

:idea:

If you have no ties to texas, I honestly don't think your chances are all that great. However applying early (like this month) is likely a real advantage since TMDSAS takes forever to process the applications (6-8+ weeks if turned in July or later) before sending them out to schools. I think it's a good idea to try though, since their tuition is relatively cheap

If you have no ties to texas, I honestly don't think your chances are all that great. However applying early (like this month) is likely a real advantage since TMDSAS takes forever to process the applications (6-8+ weeks if turned in July or later) before sending them out to schools. I think it's a good idea to try though, since their tuition is relatively cheap

+1:thumbup:

It can't hurt to apply, but you don't stand much of a chance. Most schools want OOS applicants to have MCAT 33+ and gpa 3.7+. An OOS friend of mine was told by a UT-Houston dean that his 37 MCAT was low, but he did get into UTSW. :scared: I didn't understand that, but he is a pretty trustworthy guy.

The fact is that TX schools like to pad their stats with OOS applicants. There aren't enough TX residents with 30+ MCATs to go around. To boost their numbers they usually choose to accept VERY high scoring OOS applicants. The OOS applicants usually beg to come here due to the low tuition.

Well since the Class of 2012 applied a couple years ago...

:smuggrin:

Do you have location preference? Some people may prefer living in Dallas over Houston or San Antonio over Dallas, etc. Not that location should necessarily be your top selection factor, but keep in mind you'll be living in your school's city for four years.

There's another recent thread discussing this called "Review of Texas Schools." About two weeks ago I posted some quick pros and cons that I could think of for each school. Overall, they're all great schools based on my interview experiences, discussions with Texas docs, and discussions with students who attend.

you seem to be familiar with TMDAAS. Can you please answer this question---I am a MSU student and the grading system is with GPA (3 or 3.5 etc) and applying to TMDAAS. The grading system is A,B,C,D. Can you please explain how to convert the grades to TMDAAS?,