texas pathology elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMZ2007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone please comment on a path elective they were very happy with/'good" in Texas?? I'm thinking Baylor Houston, UTSW, or UTMB (maybe UTSA) but I can't decide on what would be the best way to go. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I did one at BCM (I'm a student there).

I'd say it was "good." I decided that Path wasn't really for me, but it was pretty interesting to take the elective. The time was mostly spent with following the residents however I wished (surgical, cyto, heme, autopsy, brain dissection, etc.). So I got to see a wide variety of stuff. This was at Ben Taub General Hospital.

The attending who runs that elective wanted us to go to conference every morning and then go talk to him about what we learned, so that was pretty nice and chill as well.

Some of my friends have done electives at Methodist, since it has its own residency after the split from Baylor. I hear that elective is pretty good too, with some big names in Path working there. However, people say they're a little more malignant/hard-core.

I enjoyed my path elective at UTSW. I took the one where I could blend several different electives in one month. I did one week of transfusion medicine, one week of hemepath, and 2 wks of pedepath. I found the transfusion medicine amazing--its a mix of hematology and laboratory pathology. The pedepath was interesting; it was a mix of all kinds of path with emphasis on surg path. But in my opinion the pedepath elective had too much downtime. The hemepath has lost a lot of luster since McKenna left, but is still really top-notch, intense, and busy here. If you love the sight of of slides and blasts with auer rods, it's a great experience. You will diff smears and stare at marrows all day. I didn't get a chance to do it, but my friends loved the surgpath here. All the attendings I met were really nice and good at what they do; the most personable and student friendly ones were in the pedepath group.