texas pediatrics programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digoybugoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

Does anybody know how competitive the texas peds programs are? My wife is an IMG and I really want her to stay close to where I matched. Im going to UTSW (dallas) for IM and from what I can gather is the peds program there is pretty competitive for IMGs. Can anybody suggest nearby programs that are not as cut throat? No visa issues since I am an AMG. Do you guys think it would be easier since she does not require a visa?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Does anybody know how competitive the texas peds programs are? My wife is an IMG and I really want her to stay close to where I matched. Im going to UTSW (dallas) for IM and from what I can gather is the peds program there is pretty competitive for IMGs. Can anybody suggest nearby programs that are not as cut throat? No visa issues since I am an AMG. Do you guys think it would be easier since she does not require a visa?

Sorry I can't help with the competitiveness, but just wanted to say -- Texas is a big state, so don't forget to look at programs in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma as well. Of the Texas programs, only the ones in Temple and Austin are closer to Dallas than Oklahoma City, Shreveport, and Tulsa are (and Austin isn't closer by much).

I'm afraid that none of them will be what I would consider "close". If she doesn't get into UTSW and you don't like a 200+ mile separation, she might consider a postgraduate program or research fellowship at UTSW (there's a 2-year MS Clinical Science, for example), followed by a residency when you have the freedom to job-hunt near wherever she goes.

A transitional year in Dallas also might be an option? Just throwing out ideas, because I know how much I'd hate such a lengthy separation from my husband.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody know what kind of board scores and experiences are typical for IMGs matching into these texas programs?

Just matched last week, but nobody really knows the typical board scores or experiences of a particular program besides those selecting the residents (PDs, assistant PDs, etc). This information isn't made readily available to applicants and I don't think it is made available to those that matched at a particular program. You only know what your particular scores are and where you received interviews and matched (thus only n=1). Good luck!