Texas programs - DO friendly/less competitive?

Started by amyl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amyl

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody have any idea which programs in Texas are DO friendly or somewhat less competitive?
Any idea if UNM is DO friendly -- i noticed they don't have any DOs on their roster.
 
I wouldn't say that any of the Texas programs are "DO-friendly." UTSW tends to accept a fair number, as well as Scott and White, yet the residents who match here are excellent grade and score-wise. Someone may correct me, but one of my medical school classmates is either a chief or co-chief at UTSW.

S&W accepts a fair number of DOs into their primary care specialties, but since I did a rotation there as a fourth year medical student I caught whiffs of hostility towards DOs. This could have changed since that time since this was in late 2003 when I was last there.
 
It appears from the websites that:
UTHSCSA has about 5/45
UT Southwestern does not list it on their website, but I am pretty sure they have at least a couple.
Texas A&M / Scott & White appears to have 2/26 on their website
UTMB has 6/66
Baylor does not list all years but 1/10 in last match
UT-Houston, I can't tell from the website since it doesn't list schools or MD vs DO
Texas Tech-same as UT Houston

Hope this helps
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think if you have decent usmle scores, they are DO friendly... i applied to most of the programs in texas, my scores were 220 and 234. i interviewed at ut-houston, utmb, and baylor. got an invite from utsw (didn't go), no response from scott and white. didn't apply anywhere else.

hope that helps.
 
I have been wondering the same thing about the New Mexico program. It doesn't seem like it would be super competitive, but I see no evidence of being DO friendly either.