Texas Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can't be an MD residency and be affiliated with a DO school. I have never heard of this at least. When Dr. Gossett talked to our EM club, he said they were seeking affiliation with UT-Southwestern. I don't know that they obtained that.

If they are approved to start next season, are they taking a class starting in July? Others on this thread talked of interviewing with them for this cycle.

They most certainly can be affiliated with UNT and most of the programs there are in some way 'affiliated'. Ever hear of UNT Health? From an ad in JAMA..."Academic affiliations with the University of Texas Southwestern and the University of North Texas are currently under negotiations."

Members don't see this ad.

They most certainly can be affiliated with UNT and most of the programs there are in some way 'affiliated'. Ever hear of UNT Health? From an ad in JAMA..."Academic affiliations with the University of Texas Southwestern and the University of North Texas are currently under negotiations."

Yes I have heard of UNT Health, I am basically a slave for them right now. As I understand it, this is just the physician group associated with the school :confused: Don't know what that has to do with affiliation with a residency program.

Good research on the JAMA link. Good info to know. I guess the word "affiliation" has different meanings for different people.

Yes I have heard of UNT Health, I am basically a slave for them right now. As I understand it, this is just the physician group associated with the school :confused: Don't know what that has to do with affiliation with a residency program.

Good research on the JAMA link. Good info to know. I guess the word "affiliation" has different meanings for different people.

I gave you the UNT Health link for a reason...look at the ortho, obgyn and psyc links and you will see that it is much more than "the physician group for the school".

Members don't see this ad :)
I gave you the UNT Health link for a reason...look at the ortho, obgyn and psyc links and you will see that it is much more than "the physician group for the school".

Don't know why you have taken such a hostile tone. Didn't mean to offend you.

Don't know why you have taken such a hostile tone. Didn't mean to offend you.

No offense taken and I apologize for the hostile tone - I didn't intend to sound that way.

I'm just pointing out that, yes, a DO school is affiliated with ACGME residencies and UNT Health is the way they work it. TCOM benefits by having better clinical rotations and the residencies benefit by having the academic support necessary for research.

I heard this week that they were not approved for 2009, but have already taken measures to address the deficiencies that were noted.

I don't recall them stating which school they were going to be affiliated with, but it seems that a few of you have already discussed this.

I found this by doing a search on the JPS homepage:

http://www.jpshealthnet.org/For-Med...dency.aspx?terms=emergency+medicine+residency

So, I would guess they were approved, unless I found a hidden webpage that they were waiting to publish after the go-ahead was given?

I found this link as well and trust me, it really took some effort to find this link. It's weird that it states that the program has been fully accredited by ACGME and yet if you search the ACGME website for the "newly accredited" programs this program does NOT exist as it was apparently not approved.

I called the PD on his two phone numbers about 5-6 times early last week and left messages and did not hear back from them. I truly don't know what happened to them as I thought the EM program had the potential to be really good.

I found this link as well and trust me, it really took some effort to find this link. It's weird that it states that the program has been fully accredited by ACGME and yet if you search the ACGME website for the "newly accredited" programs this program does NOT exist as it was apparently not approved.

I called the PD on his two phone numbers about 5-6 times early last week and left messages and did not hear back from them. I truly don't know what happened to them as I thought the EM program had the potential to be really good.

The Department Chair is a friend of mine and tried to recruit me there (as they are recruiting faculty to set up the new program). It sounds like a great place overall, and Dallas/Ft. Worth is one of the more livable cities in Texas.

Apparently they were supposed to start the new program in July 2010, but I'm not sure what the status of the program currently is. It's possible that they will be selecting people from outside the match, as many new programs do start that way. Texas tends to be very inbred (medically) so they may only be looking locally at this point.

This might be nearly a year late, but thanks Veers for the tidbits on the Corpus Christi. I'm quite a ways off but if you could add anything else about your experiences with the program, I would most appreciate it :)