Texas programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I_love_UMKC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be an applicant next year and it would be a great help for us next year applicants, if people who interviewed at Neurology programs share their experience about different TX programs. I looked through old threads too, but there are very few and very old reviews (the interview feedback is very low on reviews too). Much appreciated if people from this year who interviewed at different TX share the reviews...specifically the strengths, weaknesses, happiness of the residents, faculty, calls, variety of cases (bread and butter vs zebras), interview day, what helped you decide, and anything else that you feel would be helpful. I'm going to list all the programs from FREIDA:

University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (Austin) Program
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals Program
Methodist Hospital (Houston) Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
University of Texas at Houston Program
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium Program
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Program

Members don't see this ad.

Take it for what its worth; I am a resident in midatlantic. interviewed at UTHSC (San Antonio) and went to UTMB for medical school. UTMB has dedicated teachers and good residents and appeared to be a laid back congenial group; however, it is also a small program and post-Ike I do not know how well they regrouped.
I really liked UTHSC alot. They have excellent and dedicated faculty (fencer) and great research opportunites if that interests you. The residents appear laid back and their curriculum is structured to teach you and to make you a competent neurologist upon completion (note EMG/EEG rotations in PGY II). The workload also appears manageable so that you are busy while you are there but not overburdened and thus have plenty of time/energy to read.

I did not interview at the other programs. I probably would have ranked UTHSC number one if I did not have other personal obligations.

I'll be an applicant next year and it would be a great help for us next year applicants, if people who interviewed at Neurology programs share their experience about different TX programs. I looked through old threads too, but there are very few and very old reviews (the interview feedback is very low on reviews too). Much appreciated if people from this year who interviewed at different TX share the reviews...specifically the strengths, weaknesses, happiness of the residents, faculty, calls, variety of cases (bread and butter vs zebras), interview day, what helped you decide, and anything else that you feel would be helpful. I'm going to list all the programs from FREIDA:

University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (Austin) Program
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program
University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals Program
Methodist Hospital (Houston) Program
Baylor College of Medicine Program
University of Texas at Houston Program
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium Program
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Program

I interviewed at UT-Southwestern Austin, Baylor, and had interviews at UTHSC and UT-Houston but wasn't able to make it. I thought Baylor was a great program - very diverse, very nice and intelligent residents, tons of pathology to see, good faculty, good reputation. But I just didn't get much of a feel for Houston when I visitied. And it seemed like covering so many hospitals, and then trying to get back for didactics (which there are ALOT of), would be difficult. I also hear there's not a ton of time to study or read up on cases there, which is a drawback for me.
I ended up matching at UT-Southwestern Austin. I just LOVED Austin, the program, and had a great interview day there. The residents are mainly FMG's, which is a drawback to some, but I thought they were all extremely friendly and intelligent, and it's all AMGs this year. The residents are not overworked by any means, which means I'll have the opportunity to read and study for boards, and if I feel I need more experience I'll just spend extra time at the hospital. My only concern was that there might be a lack of research opportunities, but the merger with UT-Southwestern should focus it more on research, while adding to it's reputation so that better fellowships can be attained. I interviewed at a bunch of programs throughout the US - some with a better reputation than UT-Austin, but ultimately I just felt I'd be happiest there. And 50-75% of residents end up staying where they do residency, and Austin is a great place to live! Live music capital of the world, fastest growing city in the US, #1 city for singles, #2 for families...the new program director of the Neurology program also is extremely friendly, and has amazing credentials. I'm sure he'll lead the program in the right direction.
I ended up ranking UT-Austin #2, and I'm really excited to start my residency there..
I hope that helps a little bit. It really all depends on what you're looking for out of a residency. I think it's important to target the program you feel most comfortable at on the interview day. That's most likely where you'll be happiest.

Members don't see this ad :)
These are my 2 cents. Again, others may not agree with this and that is fine. I thought this might help someone out. I have interviewed at these programs or done rotations at them and have had a good grasp of them (IMHO).

University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (Austin) Program: Great city. Good 1:1 teaching by the faculty. I heard fellowships are starting soon. Funding is growing. Faculty is growing. Facilities are above par. Residents are collegial and interact well with the faculty from what I saw. Small class size, new program, lack of research, and working at multiple centers maybe a drawback. UMCB Hospital's pathology is incredible from what I've heard from the residents there. Overall this is a solid program and will likely be the program of the "future." I loved this program.

University of Texas Southwestern Medical School Program: By far the best BALANCED clinical program in Texas. City is okay to live in. Solid clinical program with good teaching and research interaction. I felt that the residents were overworked on the services. Excellent epilepsy training. Has a dynamic working with Austin. Good resident class size. Autonomy, the workload, city itself, and atmosphere of the facilities was a drawback for me.

University of Texas Medical Branch Hospitals Program: Post hurricane it is not the same as before. The chair left (and from friends I have there he was awesome!). Small program. Not enough teaching. I got more of a research feeling here than strong clinical training. Who knows if another hurricane will hit...

Methodist Hospital (Houston) Program: Small program. The Chair is world famous. I thought that the residents did not have too much autonomy. Overexposure to movement disorders and underexposure to other sub-areas. Great private hospital has is good and bad points. This maybe a good fall back program, but should not be a first choice, at least for now (IMHO).

Baylor College of Medicine Program: Another solid program. Good exposure to all areas. Movement disorders is strong. Stroke is solid. Residents are definitely overworked and looked miserable. Call schedule seems overwhelming at times. Coverage can be a pain. Chair is nice but may not be in the resident's best interest (information I get from friends there). Houston is too large of a city for me; it might be ok for others though. TMC is huge! You definitely get exposed to everything. Research can be done, but time is an issue.

University of Texas at Houston Program: Stroke, stroke, stroke. If you like strokes this is the place to be. Otherwise it is too soft in the other areas (epilepsy, pain, nm, immunology). You get the teaching, but stroke teaching eclipses it, and may actually get in the way. Research is not opposed. Residents seemed somewhat enthused and got along fine. Baylor and UT Houston and now Methodist in one area has definitely cut down the pathology into niches. Baylor looses on stroke and UT looses on movement, and don't get me started with what Methodist looses (IMHO)...

University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio Program: An excellent program in a polarizing city. I believe this program to be underrated. A lot of funding, excellent resources, good teachers, coverage in all areas (epilepsy is strong). Residents seemed relaxed. Class size maybe an issue. A solid clinical program. I liked this program, but I thought the city wasn't a good fit for me. I thought there was more to do in Austin and Dallas...

Hope this helps... :)

Last edited:
Thank you friends :) Those were some pretty helpful reviews :thumbup: Keep them coming :D Gotta love SDN!

Thank you friends :) Those were some pretty helpful reviews :thumbup: Keep them coming :D Gotta love SDN!

I personally liked UT Southwestern Austin the best. A very friendly place to learn neuro! I think it is a good clinical program (and isn't that what residency is all about??) Southwestern Dallas is another good program. Then maybe UTHSC San Antonio followed by Baylor. All of these, in my opinion, are excellent neuro programs.

(I have friends and have personally been/rotated at these programs, so if you have any questions you can pm me.)

I personally liked UT Southwestern Austin the best. A very friendly place to learn neuro! I think it is a good clinical program (and isn't that what residency is all about??) Southwestern Dallas is another good program. Then maybe UTHSC San Antonio followed by Baylor. All of these, in my opinion, are excellent neuro programs.

(I have friends and have personally been/rotated at these programs, so if you have any questions you can pm me.)

The Austin program is very new and the university connection just established at Seton Family of Hospitals. Frankly, there is not enough history/data on fellowship placements to determine if the program in the long run is "good" or not. Simply because it is an "easy ride" through residency (relatively, of course) doesn't correlate with good outcomes (fellowship placement).

My advice is to stick with the established programs with a history of leadership and vision, as you would with investments, right??? After all, this just may be the biggest investment of your professional life.

The Austin program is very new and the university connection just established at Seton Family of Hospitals. Frankly, there is not enough history/data on fellowship placements to determine if the program in the long run is "good" or not. Simply because it is an "easy ride" through residency (relatively, of course) doesn't correlate with good outcomes (fellowship placement).

My advice is to stick with the established programs with a history of leadership and vision, as you would with investments, right??? After all, this just may be the biggest investment of your professional life.

Oh Medsrus, I love that you say whatever comes to mind....having said that, are you really just mad because the previous poster listed Baylor as last on the list of TX schools? Obviously I'm biased as I'm going to UT Austin for residency, but I did interview at Baylor and there was a reason UT Austin was #2 and Baylor was #9. UT Austin just became UT Southwestern, and although it will be a 'branch' it still holds the same name and will look great on my fancy office wall! It's a certified stroke center, the new program director's credentials are amazing, and good luck finding someone who can say one bad thing about Austin (no joke, the worst thing I've heard is that 'the bugs get big'), the fastest growing city in the US!
I'm not going to put down Baylor on here, because I honestly thought it was a good program, but there's a reason I was confident in ranking UT-Southwestern at Austin as high as I did. To be fair/impartial, you're correct that there are not established fellowships yet, and I took that into consideration when making my rank list. But I loved the program so much that I was willing to 'take a chance' and rank it higher than Emory, Baylor, Duke, Kaiser LA, and other programs with residents who went on to prestigious fellowships.

Oh Medsrus, I love that you say whatever comes to mind....having said that, are you really just mad because the previous poster listed Baylor as last on the list of TX schools? Obviously I'm biased as I'm going to UT Austin for residency, but I did interview at Baylor and there was a reason UT Austin was #2 and Baylor was #9. UT Austin just became UT Southwestern, and although it will be a 'branch' it still holds the same name and will look great on my fancy office wall! It's a certified stroke center, the new program director's credentials are amazing, and good luck finding someone who can say one bad thing about Austin (no joke, the worst thing I've heard is that 'the bugs get big'), the fastest growing city in the US!
I'm not going to put down Baylor on here, because I honestly thought it was a good program, but there's a reason I was confident in ranking UT-Southwestern at Austin as high as I did. To be fair/impartial, you're correct that there are not established fellowships yet, and I took that into consideration when making my rank list. But I loved the program so much that I was willing to 'take a chance' and rank it higher than Emory, Baylor, Duke, Kaiser LA, and other programs with residents who went on to prestigious fellowships.

Just laying out the facts on the table... The Austin program, like Methodist, is very new and resident-friendly. But the Methodist program has Cornell backing, the faculty can get you any fellowship you want (actually, it's all Dr. Appel), and its in a fancy private hospital. Not to mention, the Methodist faculty have taught for decades to Baylor residents. Some enjoy playing guinea pig, and some want a solid history as an indicator of future success.

Also, bblue, you know my history well. I tell it like it is, even with Baylor.

What are the call schedules for all the programs for all the 4 years?

Friends, if anyone has this information for different TX programs, please do share.

That information is usually on the websites of the respective programs. You would get the most reliable information there. =)

That information is usually on the websites of the respective programs. You would get the most reliable information there. =)

Thanks, but the reason I asked was that I when I tried to look, I couldn't find this information on the programs websites of UTSW Austin, UTSA (and maybe few others can't remember). Maybe I am missing it or not looking at it at the right place, and if there does exist a page where the call schedules are listed, I would really appreciate if someone can share the links :)