Texas Re-Applicant. Where to apply OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jka0067

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. I failed to match for Fall 2009 entry, having applied to all the MD schools in Texas (would've applied to TCOM if not for stupid advice from pre-med advisor) and interviewing at UTHSCSA and TTHSC in Lubbock. Right now I'm on the waiting list for UTHSCSA, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm applying again this cycle.

I've had a year of A's to boost my GPA. I struggled a lot my first year of college and it's dragging down my GPA. My first semester of sophomore year I made As and Bs, but from then on it's been solid A's.

By the end of this year, my cumulative GPA is going to be 3.46, my BCPM 3.193.

Not the best, but I have a good MCAT score: 32 Q (12 P, 10 R, 10 B)
Even though it's a solid score, I plan on taking it again in June. Recent practice tests tell me I'm improving.

Extracurricular-wise, I'mworking part-time as an RA until May, when I graduate. I've been involved in Residents Housing Association as representative for my dorm. I've been involved in my school's GLBT organization as vice-president. I've been volunteering my Sunday mornings and afternoons at a hospital near my school. I did research junior year, but stopped this year. I'm continuing to be a volunteer organic chemistry tutor for two hours a week. Also, I've been working with my organic chemistry professor to do a course-resdesign for organic chemistry I, in order to impliment online applications and message boards to improve student success. Since I'll be graduating in May, I've decided to work in Arlington Memorial Hospital as a physician technician (similar to the scribe program) for one year.

My preference is to stay in Texas, but I don't want to have to apply a third time. Could you comment on my stats and make suggestions as to what out of state schools I should apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDN. I failed to match for Fall 2009 entry, having applied to all the MD schools in Texas (would've applied to TCOM if not for stupid advice from pre-med advisor) and interviewing at UTHSCSA and TTHSC in Lubbock. Right now I'm on the waiting list for UTHSCSA, but I'm not holding my breath and I'm applying again this cycle.

I've had a year of A's to boost my GPA. I struggled a lot my first year of college and it's dragging down my GPA. My first semester of sophomore year I made As and Bs, but from then on it's been solid A's.

By the end of this year, my cumulative GPA is going to be 3.46, my BCPM 3.193.

Not the best, but I have a good MCAT score: 32 Q (12 P, 10 R, 10 B)
Even though it's a solid score, I plan on taking it again in June. Recent practice tests tell me I'm improving.

Extracurricular-wise, I'mworking part-time as an RA until May, when I graduate. I've been involved in Residents Housing Association as representative for my dorm. I've been involved in my school's GLBT organization as vice-president. I've been volunteering my Sunday mornings and afternoons at a hospital near my school. I did research junior year, but stopped this year. I'm continuing to be a volunteer organic chemistry tutor for two hours a week. Also, I've been working with my organic chemistry professor to do a course-resdesign for organic chemistry I, in order to impliment online applications and message boards to improve student success. Since I'll be graduating in May, I've decided to work in Arlington Memorial Hospital as a physician technician (similar to the scribe program) for one year.

My preference is to stay in Texas, but I don't want to have to apply a third time. Could you comment on my stats and make suggestions as to what out of state schools I should apply?

Despite your low BCPM, Im suprised texas didnt show you some more love with your MCAT score. I am also WL at UTHSCSA and can understand you frustration with the process. Any way I would recommend probably throwing in some of the DO schools (TCOM for sure) if you are going to be applying OOS. Also be careful with the AAMC GPA calculations as TMDSAS is a bit different (and I believe more lenient than AAMC) in their calculation of you GPA. Any chance of re-taking those classes you didnt do to well in your freshman year? that would help with your ACOMAS (SP) application. Good luck with whatever you decide and heres to hoping there is some WL movement for both of us. If not, hope to see you on the interview trail this next year.

Are you sure you want to retake a 32??

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. Retaking a 32 is not a good idea. In fact, I think it's your low GPA, but not your MCAT, that matters.

But if I start taking post-bacc courses over the summer and over the next school year, the grades won't show up until well after I've sent in my application for this year.

If I retake my MCAT in June, I'll have the score out in July for my application this year.

But if I start taking post-bacc courses over the summer and over the next school year, the grades won't show up until well after I've sent in my application for this year.

If I retake my MCAT in June, I'll have the score out in July for my application this year.

This is true, however the point they are trying to make is that your MCAT isnt holding you back its your GPA, dont fix what isnt broken fix what is. Keep in mind you can tell the schools your doing a post bac, most people apply to med school during their last year of college and have to send transcripts and updates, this isn't any different.

But you have to realize that it's most likely that's your GPA that concerned ADCOM the most, not your MCAT. A 3.7/32 looks way better than 3.2/40.

There are many Texas-related new threads today =]