bizcuit241

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
Status
There are not many reviews of psych residencies in texas on scutwork. I was wondering if anybody could comment on some of the residencies in texas in terms of schedule, teaching, atmosphere. Thanks.

mercury1980

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
bizcuit241 said:
There are not many reviews of psych residencies in texas on scutwork. I was wondering if anybody could comment on some of the residencies in texas in terms of schedule, teaching, atmosphere. Thanks.
Im looking for the same information! please pass on any information that you might find and ill let you know if i come across anything..

goldennugget

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2006
Status
hey guys, I actually asked this question awhile back and got some good responses.. these are the responses that I saved in response to my question below about Texas residences..hope this helps!

Hey all,
I am an msIII with a budding interest in psychiatry. I am hoping to land a good residency in Texas. Does anyone have any information on how good the programs are in Texas (like baylor, UT southwestern, UT houston, UT galveston), their reputations, etc?? Any info would be so greatly appreciated!
And congrats to all those who matched

goldennugget

sga430

I interviewed at Texas Tech Lubbock and almost got an interview at UT Southwestern Dallas (my scores were too late.) Don't know to much about the other programs. I heard southwestern is one of the few progs to offer every fellowship and Texas Tech Lubbock has a heavy neuro emphasis (their residents score the 2nd best in the neuro component of the boards.)

SHRINK_MD

Was there any specific info you were looking for? Of the places you listed I've interviewed at UTSW and Baylor: in terms of clinical training, reputation, research opportunities, you really can't go wrong with either program. Both departments are very well off financially, which means that like everything else in Texas, they just keep getting bigger and bigger (and better?!) Both have ample opportunities for you to pursue any special interest you may have within psychiatry. I gave Baylor (where I matched) and edge partly because of some heavy hitters there like Dr. Gabbard, and affiliation with the renowned Menninger clinic. But I liked UTSW alot too.

Quijotemd

I agree that Baylor is probably one of the best programs in Texas. San Antonio also has an excellent reputation, and then perhaps followed by UTSW and UTMB. In general, Scott and White is a fantastic institution, but a lot of people hesitate because it's located in Temple, Texas. UT Houston is my home school and I think it's a pretty good program. They have some dedicated faculty but no big names like at Baylor.

I actually picked the Austin program #1, though, and matched there. It might not have the best reputation but it does have a couple of good things going for it. They are a program that is clearly on the rise. They have an ambitious program director and have recently hired three new faculty and I believe plan to hire three more. Within a year they will become a UTMB program and have the university affiliation. I like their training facilities--a semi-private psych hospital, a semi-private general hospital for C&L, clinics at UT Austin, MHMR, and more. And perhaps one of its biggest strengths: Austin. Austin is a wonderful city; many consider it the nicest city in Texas. So you add all that up and it seemed like a pretty good place to me to train.

Q

felicity

I was told by my advisor that the three strongest programs in Texas are: Baylor, UTSW, and San Antonio. I didnt want to go to Houston so interviewed at the other two. My advisor said UTSW had a better reputation than San Antonio, but San Antonio was the FRIENDLIEST place I went. Also, the program is 1/3 military, which makes for fascinating colleagues who have a variety of experiences, and you get to rotate on a military base (not just a VA). I ranked it pretty high. I loved the PD at UTSW, he was the funniest guy and he called me afterwards, which I really think is nice. They have every single fellowship, which was a definite plus, and they are very strong with research. Some very famous folks are there.

After all was said and done I ranked Duke first, because it is close to home and my husband's family is here (and I loved the residents), but I wanted to talk up the two Texas programs I visited. I'm off to Duke but have a really positive impression of Texas....and may go back for fellowship...who knows?

Dallas also had the best food of any city I've ever been!

hudam26

Hi all
I am very interested in psych, especially in hopefully getting a residency in Tx. I was thinking about mayb UTMB, UT Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or in that area of the state. I am an american citizen, but doing my med school in india, but planning on my clinical rotations in atlanta or chicago. i was wondering how hard it was to get a residency in psych in Tx in the places i listed or anywhere else in the state? how well do I need to do on my boards (USMLE 1, 2, etc..) and everything else. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks!!!
Huda

The Pride

I know that the entering class of 12 at UTSW has 3 UTSW grads and 3 MD/PhDs. I matched at my #1 (UC Irvine), so I'll never know if I could have matched at UTSW. When I met with the PD before applying (I go to school at UTSW), he said that he looks a lot more at grades than board scores (which was actually discouraging for me since my board scores are relatively high, so I think he's completely honest about that). I am not aware of any FMGs in the general residency in the past few years.

Hurricane

I am one of the MD/PhDs going to UTSW next year And there are two FMGs in the class as well, although from the brief bios we got it looks like one already did a psych residency in India (not quite sure how the system works over there) and the other has been in the US doing research for a couple years.

Anyway, UTSW was my #1. It has an excellent reputation and outstanding research opportunities. They recruited Eric Nestler from Yale to be chair about 5 years ago, and they've given him a ton of money to build the program even more, and they're recruiting new people all the time. I really liked the research track and the fact that they seem committed to supporting your transition to academia when you're done. Clinically, it's a strong program all of the fellowhips, and access to a private hospital, county hospital with a huge psych ER, children's hospital, and VA. And my husband and I liked Dallas a lot, and the residents seemed happy.

I also interviewed at Baylor, but I didn't like Houston that much. And the way their funding and contracts were set up, they couldn't guarantee more than 50% protected time in the 4th year for research. But clinically, it seemed like a solid program.

BAYLOR: houston seems like a really nice city, and texas medical center is amazing. this program has some wonderful people - stuart yudofsky as chair (who interviews personally with all applicants), glen gabbard on faculty (who also interviews some applicants!), and one of the nicest pd's i've met. they've got the menninger clinic, which is an outstanding institution. i really enjoyed interviewing here. the one major con of this place is that they seem to hide their residents - i only got to meet 2 while i was there, and that raised a huge red flag. the two that i did meet emphasized over and over how you work a lot harder here than at other programs. they seemed tired and disgruntled. also, the program seems to be unusually heavy on the consult-liaison side, which i thought was a bit strange. i was left wondering about this place, and i will definitely be contacting many residents for their opinions before ranking.

UTSW: previously known for being strong in psychotherapy, the new chairperson is looking to make the department top-notch in research, so the department seems to do both pretty well. the pd seemed very nice and responsive to resident concerns. i met plenty of residents and they all seemed nice and happy, but i didn't meet anyone that i could see myself hanging out with on a friday night... one con of this programs seems to be the shuttling around from one site to the other. the residents definitely do a lot of driving. also, there is only home call on psychiatry - EVER. i mean, i'm not looking to kill myself in residency, but i do want to learn as much as possible. any program that doesn't have ANY call in the hospital makes me a little bit wary...

UTSW -- Seems very balanced in its approach to psychiatry in that it has a good mixture of research and patient care, biological and psychotherapeutic approaches, etc. The program has multiple training spots which is good in that you get to experience a variety of environments but bad in that training sites are spread throughout Dallas. Again, I liked all the residents and attendings that I met -- they were very friendly and seemed excited to be at UTSW. Definitely go to the dinner with residents the night before as it is a good time to ask questions and you probably won't get a chance to talk with PGY-2 and PGY-3s otherwise. The interview day itself is fairly long but wasn't too rough -- most of the interviews are in the afternoon with one interview and tour of Presbyterian in the morning. Lunch is at the faculty club with attendings who don't give feedback to the residency selection committee; I enjoyed getting to interact with them without the pressure of an interview.

Edited to add: once again I was impressed with how nice the PD and residency office staff were!

Baylor -- I really enjoyed my interview there. The PD is very personable and all of my interviewers seemed interested in getting to know me better instead of making it a marathon session of "why baylor?" I really liked the residents I met - they were friendly and down to earth. I was impressed by the extensive psychotherapy training opportunities. Medicine rotations are done at the VA -- personally I would rather do them at a general hospital. There is the option to do months of peds instead of some of the med months. You have lunch with a pgy-1 and pgy-3 so there is plenty of time to ask questions. Overall, I was very pleased with my time there.

About the Ads

mercury1980

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status
Thanks a lot GN!! That was really helpful! :) so where did you eventually match?

goldennugget

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2006
Status
mercury1980 said:
Thanks a lot GN!! That was really helpful! :) so where did you eventually match?
I actually just started fourth year of medical school last month, but I'm applying for residencies in a month or two...I'm definitely aiming to land a spot somewhere in Texas. I'm currently debating between UT-Houston, Baylor, and UTSW.

mercury1980

10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status
goldennugget said:
I actually just started fourth year of medical school last month, but I'm applying for residencies in a month or two...I'm definitely aiming to land a spot somewhere in Texas. I'm currently debating between UT-Houston, Baylor, and UTSW.
I did my electives at Baylor (but not in psych..endocrinology and neurology) so I can tell you that its a really academic and competitive environment. Youll learn a whole lot..Dont know much abt the others. Anyway..thanks again for the reviews..Good luck!

About the Ads