Texas schools for non-residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polaris5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on an out-of-state/non-resident applicant applying to Texas schools? Do you have to be an exceptionally great applicant to get a shot at these schools?

And would having ties to TX (living there for the first 11 years of my life) have any influence? :) I'm guessing probably not..

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your thoughts on an out-of-state/non-resident applicant applying to Texas schools? Do you have to be an exceptionally great applicant to get a shot at these schools?

And would having ties to TX (living there for the first 11 years of my life) have any influence? :) I'm guessing probably not..

Thanks in advance!

Ties to Texas would be nice.

Demonstrating a clear commitment to STAYING in Texas for residency / beyond would be even better. Texas loses approximately 50% of its med school graduates to OOS residency programs, so letting the admissions committee know that you would be willing call Texas home beyond med school would probably help you out. That being said, the state of Texas mandates that the entering classes for public med schools need to be 90% IS, so you're fighting an uphill battle either way (so yes, great stats would help).

Demonstrating a clear commitment to STAYING in Texas for residency / beyond would be even better. Texas loses approximately 50% of its med school graduates to OOS residency programs, so letting the admissions committee know that you would be willing call Texas home beyond med school would probably help you out. That being said, the state of Texas mandates that the entering classes for public med schools need to be 90% IS, so you're fighting an uphill battle either way (so yes, great stats would help).

Ohh that's great to hear. I actually do want to move back to Texas and live there, and if I do get into a TX school.. all the better as I will try to do residency there.
Thanks for your advice :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes. They really prefer in-state residents. So you would have to make it very loud and clear of your intentions to 'stay true to Texas' after medical school. (and noting that you did live there 11 years or so).