Texas Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funnyshoes84

ucla bruin
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying for Fall 2006 admission to pharmacy school in CA and TX, but I was wondering what is the best pharm school in TX?? I don't think I know enough about UH, UT Austin, A&M in Kingsville or Texas Tech. Does anyone have any experiences in terms of classes, professors, people and the city at any of these schools? Thanks so much!! I love SDN :love:

Members don't see this ad.

funnyshoes84 said:
I will be applying for Fall 2006 admission to pharmacy school in CA and TX, but I was wondering what is the best pharm school in TX?? I don't think I know enough about UH, UT Austin, A&M in Kingsville or Texas Tech. Does anyone have any experiences in terms of classes, professors, people and the city at any of these schools? Thanks so much!! I love SDN :love:

Good luck for applying to Texas schools. Come to UT... because UT is #2 pharmacy school in the nation, lots of research opportunities, well know professors, it's been around for over 120 years, big campus... it's in Austin (Music Capitol of the world), diverse people and lots of academic resources to help you get through it all. UT doesn't require biochemistry or Anatomy as pre-reqs... and they are really laid back

Texas Tech: It's in amarillo, middle of no where bascially, you'll take 22 hours each semester and their interview is on Saturdays all day long.

UH: They were really nice, the first 2 years are at the main campus and the last 2 years are at the Texas medical branch. It's more clinical orientated since you get to experience hospital settings early.

A&M Kingsville- They delayed opening the school 3 years already. They DO require biochem and Anatomy classes. It's the middle of no where... dry humid by the coast. They are not accredited so you might go through the program but not able to be licensed to practice.

If you have any questions about any school, feel free to PM me, I'm will start this fall at the UT pharmacy school. :laugh:

UTPharmDoc said:
Good luck for applying to Texas schools. Come to UT... because UT is #2 pharmacy school in the nation, lots of research opportunities, well know professors, it's been around for over 120 years, big campus... it's in Austin (Music Capitol of the world), diverse people and lots of academic resources to help you get through it all. UT doesn't require biochemistry or Anatomy as pre-reqs... and they are really laid back

Texas Tech: It's in amarillo, middle of no where bascially, you'll take 22 hours each semester and their interview is on Saturdays all day long.

UH: They were really nice, the first 2 years are at the main campus and the last 2 years are at the Texas medical branch. It's more clinical orientated since you get to experience hospital settings early.

A&M Kingsville- They delayed opening the school 3 years already. They DO require biochem and Anatomy classes. It's the middle of no where... dry humid by the coast. They are not accredited so you might go through the program but not able to be licensed to practice.

If you have any questions about any school, feel free to PM me, I'm will start this fall at the UT pharmacy school. :laugh:

Ok, I would like to edit some of what you said, since it is incorrect:
First off, being a student at Tech, the interviews are not on Saturdays they are on Fridays (but it is a long day) :D . Second, you don't take 22 hours each semester. On average you take 19, and all the hours aren't taken at the same time in most cases. We have a lot of pharmacotherapy courses which are 6 week courses. And there will be an hour here and there that you can pretty much not worry about. Also, we have our first 2 summers off (no summer school since we cram everything into our fall and spring semesters).
Yes, it is in Amarillo, and the city does suck (I came from Austin, I went to UT for undergrad), but you can go to Dallas for your last two years.
Also, Texas Tech is known for it's clinically based curriculum (my faculty advisor is friends with the Dean at UT, and the Dean himself told him our program is the place to be for clinical, whereas UT is great for research). Tech has more rotations than all the other schools in Texas (there are so many rotations that you can fulfill the hour requirement for the Texas State Board without having to work during the summers or the school year).
UH may be in the med center, but it's not that clinically oriented compared to other programs (UT or Tech). That's why I decided against it.
UT is ranked #2, but you have to look at what those rankings are based on- it's not really based on anything of academic substance per se (meaning, these rankings aren't like med school rankings, or graduate school rankings- a lot of it has to do with how much funding a school receives for research). There are several schools that aren't listed on those rankings simply b/c they are still fairly new (the reason why you won't find Tech on there).
I love UT and I miss it (I love Austin!), but I can't say that I regret or am disappointed with my decision to come to Tech.

I really like Tech's program- the professors are great, our class is small (88) and while the semesters can be rough b/c of workload, I know when I get out there I will be very well prepared.
It's up to you to do the research and figure out which program fits your needs.
If you have any questions about Tech feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, from my impression of texas tech (based on my day-long interview with them), the faculty and students are EXTREMELY nice! they really care about you and your progress as a student. i was very impressed with the school and would have loved to go to tech if it weren't for the location.

UH - from my impression, wasn't as nice...probaby slightly more nice than UT. but they are located in the middle of the medical center in houston which is a big plus.

UT- is just a fun place to be. the pharmacy school is located in the middle of campus and so you'll be surrounded by lots of people. personally, i absolutely love austin, and you get to be in the whole college life thing still, which is good.

but i'm not in pharmacy school yet, so you might wanna ask pharmacy students like mon up there =) (emogrl)

Thanks for the responses, but I'm having a personal dilemma in that although I am originally from TX, I'm currently an undergrad at UCLA, and I love it here but kind of miss home. I've visited the UH campus many times since my friends are undergrads there, but I can't help thinking that it is not up to my standards in terms of a college experience b/c there's no school spirit and the campus is kind of drab (sorry!!) That is why I can't really see myself going to UH, which makes me seem really conceited :( but I just want to know, if you go to UH pharm school what do you think of it--and is pharmacy school a completely diff atmosphere from the undergrad experience?

funnyshoes84 said:
Thanks for the responses, but I'm having a personal dilemma in that although I am originally from TX, I'm currently an undergrad at UCLA, and I love it here but kind of miss home. I've visited the UH campus many times since my friends are undergrads there, but I can't help thinking that it is not up to my standards in terms of a college experience b/c there's no school spirit and the campus is kind of drab (sorry!!) That is why I can't really see myself going to UH, which makes me seem really conceited :( but I just want to know, if you go to UH pharm school what do you think of it--and is pharmacy school a completely diff atmosphere from the undergrad experience?

I don't go to UH pharmacy school, but there was a good reason I didn't choose it. I did 2 years of prerequisites as a post bac there and coming from UT, I absolutely hated it. There is no school spirit or school pride (as you experience at UT) and not only that- dealing with the people in the pharmacy school was an absolute nightmare. I've never experienced so much rudeness on a professional level- they completely turned me off to their program. I know several people who were UH students as undergrads who also felt the same way about how they were treated. Most schools want to make a good impression during the application process and want to make you feel welcome, UH was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum- they make you feel like they don't want you, it's you who wants them, and until you are accepted you receive no respect from them. Not many people see that aspect of the pharmacy school unless you are at UH for prerequisites or for your undergrad.
I'm sure they have wonderful professors and the program is fine, but I personally didn't care to find out after the way my colleagues and myself were treated during the application process.

UTPharmDoc said:

From what I've heard, although it's not stated as "22" hours, the 16 or 17 hours at UT pharm is misleading. Labs or other courses that are 1 or 2 hrs lasts longer....it's just their way of making tuition cheaper as possible. So almost all pharmD curriculums are the same with little differences here and there.

txpharmdstud said:
From what I've heard, although it's not stated as "22" hours, the 16 or 17 hours at UT pharm is misleading. Labs or other courses that are 1 or 2 hrs lasts longer....it's just their way of making tuition cheaper as possible. So almost all pharmD curriculums are the same with little differences here and there.

Sorry, my bad... it's a good thing there are students from Texas Tech here to tell you about their program :)

I totally know what you're talking about. I never experienced the disrespectfulness, but I have heard horror stories (advisor making people cry....). They love you once you are admitted though. I don't have a particular liking to my class either. Too whiny and clique-ish. I feel like I'm in high school. No school pride. However, I love Houston and I like UH overall. I think the program and profs are great.

emogrrrrl said:
I don't go to UH pharmacy school, but there was a good reason I didn't choose it. I did 2 years of prerequisites as a post bac there and coming from UT, I absolutely hated it. There is no school spirit or school pride (as you experience at UT) and not only that- dealing with the people in the pharmacy school was an absolute nightmare. I've never experienced so much rudeness on a professional level- they completely turned me off to their program. I know several people who were UH students as undergrads who also felt the same way about how they were treated. Most schools want to make a good impression during the application process and want to make you feel welcome, UH was on the complete opposite end of the spectrum- they make you feel like they don't want you, it's you who wants them, and until you are accepted you receive no respect from them. Not many people see that aspect of the pharmacy school unless you are at UH for prerequisites or for your undergrad.
I'm sure they have wonderful professors and the program is fine, but I personally didn't care to find out after the way my colleagues and myself were treated during the application process.