Texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muksyed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHO ALL ARE APPLYING TO DIFFERENT TEXAS SCHOOLS!!!!! WOULD U GUYS LIKE TO SHARE UR STATS!!!!!

GPA-3.3 (NOT SO GOOD:eek::eek::eek:)
PCAT-PLANNED TO TAKE IN JANUARY
LITTLE BIT OF VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
JUST GOT CERTIFIED AND HOPEFULLY WORKING AT WALGREENS AS A TECHNICIAN
2YR DEGREE IN GENERAL SCIENCE FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGE!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY WHO IS APPLYING THIS YEAR!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

GPA: 4.0 (not after this semester) Bachelor in Business
PCAT: took in Oct and not expecting great results
Volunteer: Loads of hours in ER and university tutor
Work: Over 3 yrs experience in pharmacy (certified for just as long)
Applying: Every school in Texas and Southwestern Oklahoma
LOR: from pharmacists I have known for over 2 years (should be good)

By the way, why is every one of your posts in all caps?

GPA: 4.0 (not after this semester) Bachelor in Business
PCAT: took in Oct and not expecting great results
Volunteer: Loads of hours in ER and university tutor
Work: Over 3 yrs experience in pharmacy (certified for just as long)
Applying: Every school in Texas and Southwestern Oklahoma
LOR: from pharmacists I have known for over 2 years (should be good)

By the way, why is every one of your posts in all caps?

JUST LIKE WRITING IN CAPS !!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.75; Bachelor in Biology
PCAT: 96 composite (took in June)
Some volunteer here and there in hospital and with work
Work: 4 years at HEB pharmacy, stints as tech in hospital and CVS; currently working as a Coordinator of research trials for pharma
Applying: UT, UIW, Tech. Houston
LOR: eh...decent. Professor, Pharmacist from HEB, Dr. I work with (will actually be alright if two of them turn it in :cool:)

WHO ALL ARE APPLYING TO DIFFERENT TEXAS SCHOOLS!!!!! WOULD U GUYS LIKE TO SHARE UR STATS!!!!!

GPA-3.3 (NOT SO GOOD:eek::eek::eek:)
PCAT-PLANNED TO TAKE IN JANUARY
LITTLE BIT OF VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
JUST GOT CERTIFIED AND HOPEFULLY WORKING AT WALGREENS AS A TECHNICIAN
2YR DEGREE IN GENERAL SCIENCE FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGE!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY WHO IS APPLYING THIS YEAR!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
" Holy cap-locks BatMan":bow:

My chances are looking good if the three of us are the only ones applying to Texas schools.

On a serious note, I have spoken to a couple of schools that have told me that the amount of applicants thus far is considerably smaller than last years group. That is great news for those of us who applied early.

hm...it would be helpful if the applicant pool isn't around 700. I'm applying to UT, UIW, Texas Tech, and UH. Maybe Kingsville. I'm not sure i want to take Anatomy for UIW though.

My chances are looking good if the three of us are the only ones applying to Texas schools.

On a serious note, I have spoken to a couple of schools that have told me that the amount of applicants thus far is considerably smaller than last years group. That is great news for those of us who applied early.

your handle reminds me of the two Mikes at Tech.

What two mikes?

If you are right, this is good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you have anything to worry with your 96 composite score. I am praying for something above a 50.

Well I hope you are right about that. I still have to treat it knowing nothing is guaranteed.

Which school(s) are you hoping most to get into to?

What two mikes?
sorry...i dont' know why i assumed that you would know Mike Schwettman and Mike Nall just because you have TTU on your sdn name :) Mike S. is the unit director for the TTU COP at Amarillo and Mike Nall is the one that I met who is "in charge?" for Abilene. At least they were very helpful when I met them last year when I was interviewed in Amarillo.

hm...it would be helpful if the applicant pool isn't around 700. I'm applying to UT, UIW, Texas Tech, and UH. Maybe Kingsville. I'm not sure i want to take Anatomy for UIW though.

The disconcerting thing about UIW for me was the fact that tuition would be much higher for a private university. Pharmacy school in general is going to pinch the bank a bit, but tuition at UT, Texas Tech, UH, and Texas A&M - Kingsville are all still lower because they're public schools. If your funds are good, though, then this will probably not be a concern.

San Antonio is a pretty nice spot and being in an urban center should make it easier to find part-time jobs and internships. And, if you're a beer person, they've got a Flying Saucer around there. =) But drunkenness aside, San Antonio seems like a good place to live.

--Garfield3d

The disconcerting thing about UIW for me was the fact that tuition would be much higher for a private university. Pharmacy school in general is going to pinch the bank a bit, but tuition at UT, Texas Tech, UH, and Texas A&M - Kingsville are all still lower because they're public schools. If your funds are good, though, then this will probably not be a concern.

San Antonio is a pretty nice spot and being in an urban center should make it easier to find part-time jobs and internships. And, if you're a beer person, they've got a Flying Saucer around there. =) But drunkenness aside, San Antonio seems like a good place to live.

--Garfield3d

You're right. Tuition is a big concern. I'm lucky that I have a husband who'll be working while I go to school, but his salary will be peanuts compared to what we'll be paying for UIW's tuition. I'm just afraid to not apply and decrease the chance that I might get in somewhere. So i guess we'll see.

You're right. Tuition is a big concern. I'm lucky that I have a husband who'll be working while I go to school, but his salary will be peanuts compared to what we'll be paying for UIW's tuition. I'm just afraid to not apply and decrease the chance that I might get in somewhere. So i guess we'll see.

Don't apply...more spots for me! :smuggrin: :D

Well I hope you are right about that. I still have to treat it knowing nothing is guaranteed.

Which school(s) are you hoping most to get into to?

Texas Tech and UT are my top choices but would take an acceptance letter from just about anybody.

sorry...i dont' know why i assumed that you would know Mike Schwettman and Mike Nall just because you have TTU on your sdn name :) Mike S. is the unit director for the TTU COP at Amarillo and Mike Nall is the one that I met who is "in charge?" for Abilene. At least they were very helpful when I met them last year when I was interviewed in Amarillo.

I have heard of Mike Schwettman. He sent out a generic email after I finished the common application.

Did you apply to Texas Tech last year?

I have heard of Mike Schwettman. He sent out a generic email after I finished the common application.

Did you apply to Texas Tech last year?
Yes. I sent in my application late, big mistake. I was in the last pool to be interviewed and got waitlisted. I'm hoping to turn everything in for early decision, but right now my supervisor is out on leave and I need to get an LOR from her!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Texas Tech and UT are my top choices but would take an acceptance letter from just about anybody.

UT is my top choice and UIW is second. I do like Tech alot though...have family in Lubbock, so Amarillo would work out for me for a while.

I'm just wondering what all it is that UT is looking at in applicants. I'm a little nervous about that one.

Mike Schwettman is a great guy...very helpful. I've talked with him many times on the phone and he has always helped me through whatever part of the application I need. He said they were still adjusting to the new application system. Apparently the Merlin system was changed some for this year's applications.

UT is my top choice and UIW is second. I do like Tech alot though...have family in Lubbock, so Amarillo would work out for me for a while.

I'm just wondering what all it is that UT is looking at in applicants. I'm a little nervous about that one.

From my experience with all the interns that come through my store from UT. It seems that just about everyone had stellar grades but zero experience. Of course, this is not a great representation nor a generalization of what UT is looking for, but it does give you the impression that gpa and pcat scores are their primary area of focus. However, my pharmacy manager (UT graduate) disagrees with me saying that grades are important but experience is more important. So to answer your question, I haven't a clue what UT is looking for in an applicant.

It is my understanding that UT is looking for all around good candidates. Grades/PCAT are important, but so is experience/extracurriculars/etc. I believe the interview is the most important part of the application process (but don't quote me). To show that grades alone will not get you in, there are many applicants with 4.0 GPA and 90s PCAT that are rejected every year. My GPA was only 3.47 when I was accepted.

Good luck everyone!

Yeah, majority of the class has pharmacy experience... there's only a handful of us that don't. I agree with mike36... UT looks for all-round good students. Grades are definitely important but it's not the only thing that counts.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you got any questions about UT! I remember it wasn't too long ago when I was in your shoes, and believe me... it's all worth it when you get that acceptance letter!!!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
if you check out last years posts on UT and Tech, you can pretty much get an idea of my stats. But i have retaken a few courses since then.

my overall UT GPA is 3.38
my science GPA is somewhere around there
I've been a nurse for almost five years now with the majority of my experience in IMC and telemetry.
I was on an as needed basis position as a pharmacy tech, but I had to quit that since I had to study for the PCAT, go to my classes 2days/week and go to work full time. :)

Yes. I sent in my application late, big mistake. I was in the last pool to be interviewed and got waitlisted. I'm hoping to turn everything in for early decision, but right now my supervisor is out on leave and I need to get an LOR from her!

FYI...

Tech will reuse your LORs from last year if you request it.

if you check out last years posts on UT and Tech, you can pretty much get an idea of my stats. But i have retaken a few courses since then.

my overall UT GPA is 3.38
my science GPA is somewhere around there
I've been a nurse for almost five years now with the majority of my experience in IMC and telemetry.
I was on an as needed basis position as a pharmacy tech, but I had to quit that since I had to study for the PCAT, go to my classes 2days/week and go to work full time. :)

Why did you decide to leave nursing?

Yea Mike S. is great guy. During my interview last year, he was just the most sincere person you will ever meet!!!

To show that grades alone will not get you in, there are many applicants with 4.0 GPA and 90s PCAT that are rejected every year.

I couldn't agree more. One of my good friends had a 99 PCAT and a 4.0 and was only accepted into 1 of 7 schools (majority being in Texas).

Howdy,
I'm also applying to Texas schools. Does anybody know about TSU, everyone that I've talked to isn't applying there.Are they like unaccredited or something?

Texas Southern is an excellent school. I've worked with several pharmacist who graduated from TSU and they were all very knowledgeable and really cared about their patients. I believe the facilities is what turns alot of people off to this university, it's not as appealing as UH or Tech but still a very good school.

I'm applying to Texas Southern for Fall 2009. My application is complete except for my LOR's. When I click on the recommendation link it says it is no longer available. Is anyone else having this problem or have you been able to print out your recommendation forms? Please let me know.

Why did you decide to leave nursing?
Nursing was more of a stepping stone for me. I chose it as a major while doing pre-med because i knew it would be a very valuable hands on experience in taking care of patients. However, I didn't want to limit myself without exploring all the other possible health care fields, which explains why i was pre-med. Working as a nurse, I was dealing with titrating nitroglycerin gtt, dopamine gtt, or dobutamine gtt and really saw the importance of our pharmacy as part of the health care team. I also saw my limitations as a nurse. So after a few years in nursing, i've decided it was time to further my education. I want to do pharmacy over a master's in nursing or becoming a physician because the other fields obviously do not touch pharmacology and pharmaceutical therapy in as much detail as pharmacy. I have seen how the expert knowledge of a pharmacist can really impact a change in the treatment of patients and/or provide a safer, more effective way to use certain medications. It's more of a proactive approach than just giving the medications and knowing basic information about the medicines you give. I'm really interested in Clinical ICU pharmacy so i can combine my hospital experience as a nurse and really collaborate with doctors and other nurses to promote the best effective and safe treatment for patients.

Does that make sense? :)

Wow, you would get an acceptance from me.

Has anybody heard anything from any schools yet?

Has anybody heard anything from any schools yet?

Nope not yet. I don't think any of the Texas schools let us know anything until early next year? Of course I could be wrong. I know UIW is non-rolling admissions and their deadline is Jan. 5. They will just compile all their applications and then start handing out interview invites after that.

All of us that have applied so far are still early though on all the other schools.