texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lost

Hi,
Out of the following texas med schools, how many of them are allopathic? Also, how hard is it for texas residents to get into texas med schools? Is admission into texas med schools considered easier than other states?

Baylor College of Medicine
Texas A&M University System Health Science Center
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
University of North Texas Health Science Center
University of Texas Health Science Center--Houston
University of Texas Health Science Center--San Antonio
University of Texas Medical Branch--Galveston
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center--Dallas

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non Texas resident, but I'm tempted to say its easier for Texas residents to get into Texas med schools than in other states.

I say this solely from anecdotal experience. The interviews I've been to have alot of the same people at them. Also, the Dean of Admissions at UTMB said this much as well.

All of the schools you listed are allopathic except for North Texas.

I am fairly confident that Tx schools have preference towards their residents. I know this is a fact for dental schools, which have a maximum of 10% out of state students.

Hope that helps!

All the Texas schools are allopathic with the exception of TCOM - the UNT health science center. Its osteopathic.

Texas schools do prefer texas residents - as a condition of state funding, all except for Baylor must accept 90% Texas residents - this only leaves a few spots for out of staters. Baylor has less stringent residency requirements, I believe that it is at 70% Tx residents.

To establish Tx residency, you (or your parents if you're dependent) must have lived in the state for a reason OTHER THAN education for 12 months, and you must have held a job during that time.

Star