Texas State Prereq Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeaPT96

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

So PTCAS opened last week and I have been slowly working on the apps. I'm from Texas and planned on applying to all public PT schools in Texas. One of my top choices was Texas State, however, I don't have one of the prereqs done. I am graduating early and won't have any time to take Exercise Physiology. Is it possible for me to still apply without this prereq or is it subject to an automatic rejection? I could possibly try taking it after graduation as a post-graduate class, but I'd hate to pay the full amount for one class at UT (about 1k). Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all,

So PTCAS opened last week and I have been slowly working on the apps. I'm from Texas and planned on applying to all public PT schools in Texas. One of my top choices was Texas State, however, I don't have one of the prereqs done. I am graduating early and won't have any time to take Exercise Physiology. Is it possible for me to still apply without this prereq or is it subject to an automatic rejection? I could possibly try taking it after graduation as a post-graduate class, but I'd hate to pay the full amount for one class at UT (about 1k). Any advice is appreciated!

Are you asking if you can just not take a pre-req? I doubt any school would allow that.

If you're asking if you can apply and take it during the cycle most schools allow this but you should check their policy (usually on the program website)

You can still apply with one pre-req remaining, but you'll have to have it completed by May BEFORE the start of your first year.

Also I'm a first year student at Texas State so let me know if you have any other questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
You can still apply with one pre-req remaining, but you'll have to have it completed by May BEFORE the start of your first year.

Also I'm a first year student at Texas State so let me know if you have any other questions!

@beyoutiful_sunshine is a great resource for information about applying to Texas schools. She applied and was accepted to 5/5. Texas is extremely competitive for the public universities so ask questions, get your applications in early and really work on those essays. I was also accepted to several Texas schools and would be happy to share whatever information I have as well. Best of luck to the Texas applicants this year. Our thread from last year is a good resource as well that @beyoutiful_sunshine started.

Thanks so much for your response! I guess I just won't apply to Texas State then after all. I will already have one remaining prereq (physics 2). Would you mind sharing your stats? How amazing to get into 5 schools!!!! Congrats on TxState!!

Sorry this is a little late, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I applied to PT programs last fall while taking bio lab, chem lab, physiology + lab, and developmental psych at UT. Most people don't have their prereqs 100% done when they submit their application. I'm currently a 1st year at Texas State with @beyoutiful_sunshine. :D Like @beyoutiful_sunshine said, you have to have the prereqs finished by May before starting in June (at Texas State). Also I didn't take exercise physiology (just regular physiology).. so unless they changed the requirements, I think it's recommended but not required. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user