Texas Tech Abilene vs Amarillo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

codye06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to Tech for this coming fall and really wanted to hear from some current or former students on the differences in the Abilene branch and the Amarillo branch.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, Amarillo figures in a popular song, does Abilene?
johnep

You should definitely go to Amarillo, as the main pharmacy school is located there. There are more students and professors to interact with and it will enhance your experience. Abilene's branch just started 2 years ago and you'll have to look at a screen for most of the classes. Those are your "live" lectures haha. I'm from Houston, but I enjoyed living in Amarillo. The town itself sucks, but it doesn't matter too much when you have all your classmates to hang out with. Tech is a great school. Most pharmacists/preceptors have said that in general, Tech students are better trained when it comes to understanding of disease states, although understanding and knowledge of detailed, less known drug interactions, drug MOAs, etc may be a little weaker, than say UT or UH. The point is that it will take 30 seconds to look up a drug, but a lot longer to understand disease states.