Texas Tech DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie.pt.2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides the email saying you have passed preliminary evaluation, has anyone heard from Tech? Or have any friends who have heard from Tech? They are my #1 choice, so I am just curious if they have started sending out interviews yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got offered an interview for the 27th
Hey! I think we were at the same interview! Were you at the Amarillo interview? How do you think it went? I was surprised, but very happy about how casual the interview was. I was still nervous though and wish I would have said some things differently. Do you think since we applied so early we all have a chance to get in? I'm super anxious about waiting to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I think we were at the same interview! Were you at the Amarillo interview? How do you think it went? I was surprised, but very happy about how casual the interview was. I was still nervous though and wish I would have said some things differently. Do you think since we applied so early we all have a chance to get in? I'm super anxious about waiting to find out.
I was at the Lubbock campus! It was very laid back and everyone was so nice. I was talking to some of the PT students and they said we should hear back within 2 weeks. We’re just going to have to be patient, which is not easy.

Last edited:
Besides the email saying you have passed preliminary evaluation, has anyone heard from Tech? Or have any friends who have heard from Tech? They are my #1 choice, so I am just curious if they have started sending out interviews yet.
How long after that prelim email did you get the email inviting you for an interview?

I was at the Amarillo interview! Overall I felt that it went well, but definitely still nervous and anxious to hear back. The waiting process isn't going to be easy but at least we're not alone!

How long after that prelim email did you get the email inviting you for an interview?
I received an email for an interview on 9/12 I believe. My app was turned in and completed on 8/7

I was at the Amarillo interview! Overall I felt that it went well, but definitely still nervous and anxious to hear back. The waiting process isn't going to be easy but at least we're not alone!
Nice! Who were you? I was the blonde in the maroon shirt.

I love it! I love that they have a new cadaver lab! Some of the schools I applied to dont even use cadavers. It seems like they really care about their students too.
I agree! It definitely seemed like it would be a great atmosphere for PT school. Everyone was really encouraging and supportive, which also made the interview process way less intimidating. I would say Tech is probably my top choice especially after this experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree! It definitely seemed like it would be a great atmosphere for PT school. Everyone was really encouraging and supportive, which also made the interview process way less intimidating. I would say Tech is probably my top choice especially after this experience.
Me too!

Reactions: 1 user
Nope, I'm hoping we hear by this Friday since a current student said she heard back 2 weeks after her interview.
I'm hoping so too! I know they said during the presentation that they'd inform us of decisions as they were being made, so fingers crossed it won't be too much longer before we hear something.

If you dont mind me asking, what were some of the questions like at Tech?

Why do you want to become a PT?
Why Texas Tech?
Difficult situation you had to overcome.
The prof and I also just chatted about life and what I was involved in at TAMU. It took like 30 minutes, some people only took like 10-15 mins

I also had a question along the lines of why I want to become a PT and how I first became interested in PT, what kind of activities I was involved with during school, how I handle stress, what kind of PT settings I've observed in and if there's a specific setting that I prefer. Sometimes I'd get a follow-up question depending on my answer, but it felt very conversational.

Hopefully we hear from them today. If anyone hears anything, let us know!

Reactions: 2 users
Just saw on another forum someone got accepted into the Lubbock campus today. Have you guys heard anything?

Accepted to the Lubbock campus today! Good luck everyone awaiting news!!

I was also accepted to the Lubbock campus today! I interviewed on the Amarillo campus on 9/27. Good luck to everyone!

I was accepted to the Amarillo campus today! Wishing you all the best of luck!

Congrats everyone that has been accepted!! Would any of you that have been accepted mind sharing your stats? I'm going crazy wondering why i havent heard anything. I'm wondering if its because my stats might not be as good as other applicants or if it's because i was kind of nervous during my interview.

Congrats everyone that has been accepted!! Would any of you that have been accepted mind sharing your stats? I'm going crazy wondering why i havent heard anything. I'm wondering if its because my stats might not be as good as other applicants or if it's because i was kind of nervous during my interview.
Here are my stats:

Undergraduate degree: University of Texas at Austin
Involvement: Kinesiology Club, Alpha Chi Omega (Pledge Class President, Philanthropy Day Chair, Blog and Publications Chair), UT Competitive Dance Team, Sports Nutrition Intern for UT Football, Volunteer in Gender and Health Equity Studies Lab, Austin Marathon Volunteer

Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: 3.82
GRE Scores: 155 V, 154 Q, 4 W
LOR: 2 from PT's (both of which are alumni of schools I am applying to) and 1 from a UT prof
Observation hours: 350 total
-260 outpatient sports therapy clinic (+aquatic therapy, dance medicine)
-70 pre-school for children with developmental delays
-20 inpatient skilled nursing facility

Here are my stats:

Undergraduate degree: University of Texas at Austin
Involvement: Kinesiology Club, Alpha Chi Omega (Pledge Class President, Philanthropy Day Chair, Blog and Publications Chair), UT Competitive Dance Team, Sports Nutrition Intern for UT Football, Volunteer in Gender and Health Equity Studies Lab, Austin Marathon Volunteer

Cumulative GPA: 3.75
Pre-Req GPA: 3.82
GRE Scores: 155 V, 154 Q, 4 W
LOR: 2 from PT's (both of which are alumni of schools I am applying to) and 1 from a UT prof
Observation hours: 350 total
-260 outpatient sports therapy clinic (+aquatic therapy, dance medicine)
-70 pre-school for children with developmental delays
-20 inpatient skilled nursing facility

Thank you! I think my issue might be that I didn't do many extracurricular activities and i only have 210 observation hours.

I interviewed at the Amarillo Campus on September 27th. I was accepted last Friday to the Amarillo campus as well!

I interviewed at the Amarillo Campus on September 27th. I was accepted last Friday to the Amarillo campus as well!
Congratulations!! That's awesome we'll be on the same campus! Was Amarillo your first choice?

Lubbock was sort of my first choice but on the form I really said either one was fine!
It's good you got a chance to see the Amarillo campus at the interview! Are you planning on going to Tech or are you still waiting to hear from other schools?

Still waiting to hear but Tech is definitely one of my top few choices
It's good you got a chance to see the Amarillo campus at the interview! Are you planning on going to Tech or are you still waiting to hear from other schools?

I got an interview offer as well, but after sending my RSVP I didn’t get the confirmation e-mail! Did you?
well so i requested another interview date. They just emailed me right now and invited me to the same day so I need to call them and ask.

The one thing that worries me a little bit about Texas Tech is they have a lower graduation rate than pretty much any other school I've looked at. Does anyone else have this concern?

Has anyone been denied? I got my email saying I was past preliminary review on 8/13 and haven't heard anything since. Not sure how I should be looking at this.

Last edited:
The one thing that worries me a little bit about Texas Tech is they have a lower graduation rate than pretty much any other school I've looked at. Does anyone else have this concern?
I looked at this, but I know from looking at other sites that those who do not graduate are usually people who dropped from the program for personal reasons or people who decided PT wasn't the career for them. The graduation rate is calculated over 3 years, which leads me to believe that this is the case here as well. They have a 99% pass rate, which is very impressive.

I looked at this, but I know from looking at other sites that those who do not graduate are usually people who dropped from the program for personal reasons or people who decided PT wasn't the career for them. The graduation rate is calculated over 3 years, which leads me to believe that this is the case here as well. They have a 99% pass rate, which is very impressive.
I know that makes up a part of it for sure. But I know someone in PT school at Tech, and she said 9 students have failed out of her class, which is a little concerning to me, considering some other programs have 96-98% graduation rates

Does anyone know how it is decided what campus you end up going to? Odessa, Amarillo, or Lubbock? Does it have any correlation with what campus you interview at?

Does anyone know how it is decided what campus you end up going to? Odessa, Amarillo, or Lubbock? Does it have any correlation with what campus you interview at?
At the interview, they'll give you a form to fill out listing your order of campus preference and your reasoning for it. I don't think it necessarily correlates with what campus you interviewed at, unless you listed that specific campus as being one of your top preferences. I interviewed at the Amarillo campus and was placed there, but I had also listed Amarillo as being my top choice when I filled out the application as well as on the form I was given at the interview.

Where you interview has no influence on where you will be placed if accepted, its just a way of dividing up the interviews. At my interview I was asked about campus preference during the interview and also asked to fill out the form after my interview.

I know that makes up a part of it for sure. But I know someone in PT school at Tech, and she said 9 students have failed out of her class, which is a little concerning to me, considering some other programs have 96-98% graduation rates
Thanks for sharing, that is interesting information and good to know while thinking about where to go.