Texas Tech Medical School to stop using race in consideration of admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wilf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

This has been a oft debated topic here on SDN.

Edit: I just saw that a thread similar to this was closed in pre-allopathic and moved to sociopolitical. This is an important issue for medical schools and I hope this thread can remain open to reach a larger audience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hallelujah. If we can get a national admonition of affirmative action and potentially a supreme court ruling ending it, it would be one of Trump's greatest accomplishments.

I might just be blanking right now, but do medical schools have a way to identify applicants who come from disadvantaged backgrounds?

Members don't see this ad :)
I might just be blanking right now, but do medical schools have a way to identify applicants who come from disadvantaged backgrounds?

Yup.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the application asks for parent/guardians’ income, or the income the parent received when the applicant was under their care

I know the application asks for parent/guardians’ income, or the income the parent received when the applicant was under their care
Which is what I meant when I was blanking -- could not recall for the life of me. Thanks.

Edit: I just saw that a thread similar to this was closed in pre-allopathic and moved to sociopolitical. This is an important issue for medical schools and I hope this thread can remain open to reach a larger audience.
It's an important issue for medical schools, but it's really not relevant to students who are already in school.

Honestly, there's no way for this kind of thread to avoid becoming political and in general those kinds of conversations are outside the scope of what SDN is here for. I'll discuss with the rest of the mod staff, but given that another very similar thread was just moved I'm going to close this thread and suggest that anyone wishing to discuss further can do so in the non-medical forums.

EDIT: After further discussion, we are going to move this to Topics in Healthcare.

Last edited:
It's an important issue for medical schools, but it's really not relevant to students who are already in school.

Hi there GSG. Could you give a further explanation on how this thread about the Texas Tech admissions policy, which was a result of the current administration and could be the beginning of significant changes, is not a topic for current medical students? How students are picked for medical school is of great importance to many of us in the profession. This is especially true with midlevels pushing the fight for more autonomy and commensurate (with physicians) pay. I know you feel it would become political but it's a topic that many people are not politically ideological about.

Anyway, go Spurs! Glad we didn't end up facing the Warriors in the first round.

Hi there GSG. Could you give a further explanation on how this thread about the Texas Tech admissions policy, which was a result of the current administration and could be the beginning of significant changes, is not a topic for current medical students? How students are picked for medical school is of great importance to many of us in the profession. This is especially true with midlevels pushing the fight for more autonomy and commensurate (with physicians) pay. I know you feel it would become political but it's a topic that many people are not politically ideological about.

Anyway, go Spurs! Glad we didn't end up facing the Warriors in the first round.
I'm glad we avoided the Warriors as well :)

Just being perfectly honest, a few years ago we probably would have let this thread stay where it was because I agree it is "of importance" to the profession. What we have seen over the years is that threads about affirmative action, or MD vs DO, or other highly charged topics etc, almost invariably degenerate into some sort of flame war and need to be closed. We are cognizant of the fact that there is a perception that SDN can have a toxic environment, and we're trying to change that. As part of that goal, we are actively trying to move more of these hot-button topics to other forums like TIH or the socio-political forum, and preserve the student forums to really just be about topics that are relevant to the actual process of getting through med school and starting your career.

I hope that helps explain why we're being a little more trigger-happy in moving these kinds of threads. Again, I agree it's important to talk about, so ideally I would love to see forums like TIH become more active.

LizzyM will surely be upset by this.

We should all be glad institutionalized racism is starting to get reversed...

Eagerly waiting to see what happens when students for fair admissions goes up against Harvard in the supreme court.

I'm glad we avoided the Warriors as well :)

Just being perfectly honest, a few years ago we probably would have let this thread stay where it was because I agree it is "of importance" to the profession. What we have seen over the years is that threads about affirmative action, or MD vs DO, or other highly charged topics etc, almost invariably degenerate into some sort of flame war and need to be closed. We are cognizant of the fact that there is a perception that SDN can have a toxic environment, and we're trying to change that. As part of that goal, we are actively trying to move more of these hot-button topics to other forums like TIH or the socio-political forum, and preserve the student forums to really just be about topics that are relevant to the actual process of getting through med school and starting your career.

I hope that helps explain why we're being a little more trigger-happy in moving these kinds of threads. Again, I agree it's important to talk about, so ideally I would love to see forums like TIH become more active.
Over in pre-med a new flame topic is building: dogs vs cats.

• Haha
Over in pre-med a new flame topic is building: dogs vs cats.
I pity the patients of anyone who likes cats more than dogs. And I bet those damned Adcoms will over seats to cat lovers despite higher scores by the dog lovers.

Did I hit the high points?

• Haha