Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Texas Tech

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by tentative at best, Feb 14, 2002.

1. tentative at best

I'm not sure where to post this, but I'll try here.

I've read that the majority of students spend their 3rd and 4th year in other cities than Lubbock, but I can't seem to find how it is decided who goes where. Can anybody explain this to me?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CRS

CRS Member

hey there tentative..

I interviewed at Tech, so if I am off on something, I trust that someone more in the know will correct it.

Anyway, Tech takes about 120-140 students a class. For years 3-4, the class will be divided roughly into thirds to do their clinicals at either Lubbock, Amarillo, or El Paso facilities. This process begins in the summer before MS1 when students-to-be sumbit preferences (1 through 3) of locations and reasoning for this ranking. They say that if you put El Paso or Amarillo #1, you are guaranteed to get that. Since most will put Lubbock #1, they analyze reasons provided and decide what reasons are compelling enough to let a student stay in Lubbock (i.e. home ownership, working spouse). It basically is a numbers game. They also say that you find out that summer before MS1 starts where you will be for MS3-4, but that it is not carved in stone. Appeals and/or wheeling and dealing might happen that can change a student's situation.

4. PMPMD

PMPMD 4G MD
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    The choice of where you spend 3rd and 4th years is due 2 weeks after you receive your acceptance (which, for most people, is tomorrow).