Texas Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nev

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone in here who has applied to Texas Tech and got accepted?
I'd like to know about how competitive it is.
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

nev said:

I did, but I don't think I'd be much help. I applied there in late 2001/early 2002, interviewed, and was accepted. My stats weren't as stellar (but decent) as some of the other people here, and I was an out-of-state prospect. I was actually surprised that I was accepted given the circumstances. Maybe the pool just wasn't as competitive that year... Things have probably changed quite a bit in the past 3 years. Sorry that I can't help!

Members don't see this ad :)
nev said:

I sent my application in mid-dec haven't heard back from them.as far as competion goes...i believe the avg. adjusted gpa last year was 3.65 and pcat was 77....i applied for early admission but i think only the applicatants who have a 3.8 and above will prolly get an early interview....i'm right around the avg for both gpa and pcat scores so ...hopefully i'll hear back from them for regular admissions ....holla back at me if you have any more q's...

I'm currently a student at Tech (P1) so if you have any questions feel free to either post them here or PM me.
BTW those stats the above poster gave are from 2003. Our class stats are not posted.

emogrrrrl said:
I'm currently a student at Tech (P1) so if you have any questions feel free to either post them here or PM me.
BTW those stats the above poster gave are from 2003. Our class stats are not posted.

hey emmogirl...

i actually remember you helping me out by answering some of my questions about the texas schools.....thanks for that.

Anyways,For some reason when tt changed their website they did not have the stats for last years class.but right when i started looking into pharmacy school ...late summer time they had the stats posted on the older website ...basically the gpa was a little higher and so was the pcat comapred to the 2003 applicants.....around 3.63 and 77...from what i remember. Of course you go to school up there so you have a better perpective,,,,its just fishy that they took the stats off for the new website.

BTW...i sent in my application with no problem....now its just a waiting game ....i ended up having a 3.61 at the end of the semester and i already have 81 in the pcat that i took last january....did you happen to know anyone who got an early admission int. with those kind of stats?
i just hope i get an interview...

also did they email you about the interview offer or mail it to you..i haven't got any confirmation from them about recieving my application...i'm assuming that they have everything they need from me because the application website says "Complete" for the status.

thanks..

pharmd2b2009 said:
hey emmogirl...

i actually remember you helping me out by answering some of my questions about the texas schools.....thanks for that.

Anyways,For some reason when tt changed their website they did not have the stats for last years class.but right when i started looking into pharmacy school ...late summer time they had the stats posted on the older website ...basically the gpa was a little higher and so was the pcat comapred to the 2003 applicants.....around 3.63 and 77...from what i remember. Of course you go to school up there so you have a better perpective,,,,its just fishy that they took the stats off for the new website.

BTW...i sent in my application with no problem....now its just a waiting game ....i ended up having a 3.61 at the end of the semester and i already have 81 in the pcat that i took last january....did you happen to know anyone who got an early admission int. with those kind of stats?
i just hope i get an interview...

also did they email you about the interview offer or mail it to you..i haven't got any confirmation from them about recieving my application...i'm assuming that they have everything they need from me because the application website says "Complete" for the status.

thanks..

As far as the class stats go, alot of things didn't get transferred over when they decided to update the site (for example the updated Dean's List, 2005 spring schedule...etc). There's nothing "fishy" about it, it's more like they probably don't realize that it's not there anymore. If you call and ask the school they will tell you the stats. I know the GPA for the entering class was the highest since the school opened...but like every other school out there, the stats are higher and it's more competitive each year. I don't know which students in my class were selected in the early decision vs. the regular admission. But I remember by the time I interviewed they already had half the class selected. I was the first interview after the early decision interviews.
I received notice for an interview through the mail, but you schedule your interview online. I believe if you check the status of your application often enough you will catch that you've been selected for an interview before the letter reaches your mailbox. I turned my application in around the beginning of December and I heard back around late January, maybe early February. I can't remember if there is a deadline for early admissions. Your stats sound good to me, so just sit back, relax and wait to hear fromt he school. If you have any questions the people in the office are very helpful and very pleasant.
Let me know if you have anymore questions, again feel free to post here or PM me. Defintiely let me know if you get selected for interview I would be more than happy to help in whatever way I can.

thanks man...but I guess i wil be quitting pharmacy....yes..its a long sad story
:(

emogrrrrl said:
As far as the class stats go, alot of things didn't get transferred over when they decided to update the site (for example the updated Dean's List, 2005 spring schedule...etc). There's nothing "fishy" about it, it's more like they probably don't realize that it's not there anymore. If you call and ask the school they will tell you the stats. I know the GPA for the entering class was the highest since the school opened...but like every other school out there, the stats are higher and it's more competitive each year. I don't know which students in my class were selected in the early decision vs. the regular admission. But I remember by the time I interviewed they already had half the class selected. I was the first interview after the early decision interviews.
I received notice for an interview through the mail, but you schedule your interview online. I believe if you check the status of your application often enough you will catch that you've been selected for an interview before the letter reaches your mailbox. I turned my application in around the beginning of December and I heard back around late January, maybe early February. I can't remember if there is a deadline for early admissions. Your stats sound good to me, so just sit back, relax and wait to hear fromt he school. If you have any questions the people in the office are very helpful and very pleasant.
Let me know if you have anymore questions, again feel free to post here or PM me. Defintiely let me know if you get selected for interview I would be more than happy to help in whatever way I can.

thanks,
i'll let you know if or when i will get an interview....untill then i guess i just have to wait it out...yo nev sorry to hear about you're decision..good luck in whatever you try to do .

I have an interview on Feb 11. I got a couple of questions I want to ask you.
1) Texas Tech has a rolling admission process?
2) Could you tell me how is the program? Your pros and cons.

emogrrrrl said:

fob12 said:

Yes Texas Tech is on a rolling admission. So basically, the earlier your interview the better. If you are accepted straight off from your interview group you will know within 7-10 days...depending on how far away you live :D . I received mine on day 10. But don't fret if you don't get an acceptance right away. If you ranked pretty high, but just not high enough for your interview date, and you end up being ranked higher than anyone on the next interiew day then you will receive an acceptance letter. And so on...

Personally, I love the program. I like the way it's set up and I like what they are trying to accomplish. Although our program has been said to be one of the most, if not, the most rigorous in part b/c we consistently take 19 credit hours per semester on top of clerkships which start in the second year. We are very fortunate because in your first semester of your first year you get to do a cadaver lab (not many pharmacy schools out there have one, only a handful)- pretty amazing as far as I'm concerned.
I want to be a clinical pharmacist so the program is perfect for me. The professors are very open and they are always available for help. Most of them have open door policies. Our class size is still pretty small compared to other schools, so it isn't intimidating to ask questions in class. For the 3rd and fourth years you get to choose where you want to be (you have 3 options). Pretty much everyone gets their first choice (99%), alot of schools if you have to relocate for your fourth year it's randomly assigned.
A con for me is that it's in Amarillo. Not quite the bustling metropolis of say houston or austin. I'm a city girl, I've never lived in a small town in my life, it's an adjustment. To be honest, you're so busy it doesn't really matter. You make friends, and you find things to do. Plus I have the option of Dallas for my last 2 years to look forward to.
Every school has its pros and cons- my pros may be someone elses cons. If you have any other questions and I can answer them I will be happy to do so.

fob12 said:

wassup fob12,,

just wondering when you sent in you're apps for texas tech..i sent on dec 14th but my last rec letter apparently got there on the 29th.

I sent mine early November..but my application wasn't done until mid
Nov..

pharmd2b2009 said:
wassup fob12,,

just wondering when you sent in you're apps for texas tech..i sent on dec 14th but my last rec letter apparently got there on the 29th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like I will be a student interviewer the day you will be interviewing. So I will probably see you around.
Good luck.

Are you going to be at the Feb. 11th interview? If you are, please don't be too harsh on me..... :(

emogrrrrl said:
Looks like I will be a student interviewer the day you will be interviewing. So I will probably see you around.
Good luck.

fob12 said:
Are you going to be at the Feb. 11th interview? If you are, please don't be too harsh on me..... :(

Yes I will be there. I'm very easy going so don't worry about that. If I recall correctly I'm pretty sure that the student interviewers were there more for a comfort factor than anything else. Also so that you as the interviewee can ask us questions about the curriculum.

Thanks for the heads-up!

emogrrrrl said:
Yes I will be there. I'm very easy going so don't worry about that. If I recall correctly I'm pretty sure that the student interviewers were there more for a comfort factor than anything else. Also so that you as the interviewee can ask us questions about the curriculum.

fob12, may I ask what your stats are? I also applied to Tech but havent heard back yet. I am hoping for an interview but my gpa and pcat are not stellar like others on this board! :(

My stats are not that impressive like most in this board, but I applied early for the school. So I guess that is the reason why I was invited. Plus I have a bachelor degree prior to the application process. I think that helps me out greatly.

rxaggie2005 said:
fob12, may I ask what your stats are? I also applied to Tech but havent heard back yet. I am hoping for an interview but my gpa and pcat are not stellar like others on this board! :(

fob12, thanks for replying. Congrats for applying early! I turned in everything on the very last day of the early admissions deadline (Jan 10th). Although my other grades are good, I have 4 C's in my science prereqs so you can imagine how that looks! Hopefully having a BS will help my chances :luck: Good luck with the interview!!

rpettway said:
Hey lentrombetta, what is with the racist comments? Your other post from a few days back, was ignorant. If you have a problem with minorities, please keep it to yourself and not on the boards!

Take Care,
RPettway

lentrombetta past post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2184045#post2184045
If inappropriate posts are made, please alert the moderators by using the report post (
report.gif
) function. This gives us a chance to clarify the Terms of Service with those who have behaved inappropriately, and to follow up appropriately with repeat offenders.

Thank you!

-Anna :)

rxaggie2005 said:
fob12, thanks for replying. Congrats for applying early! I turned in everything on the very last day of the early admissions deadline (Jan 10th). Although my other grades are good, I have 4 C's in my science prereqs so you can imagine how that looks! Hopefully having a BS will help my chances :luck: Good luck with the interview!!

Thankyou rxaggie2005. Good luck w/ your application process.. What other schools are you applying too?

fob12 said:
Thankyou rxaggie2005. Good luck w/ your application process.. What other schools are you applying too?

I also applied to UT and UH...no word yet! I would have applied to the other two Texas schools, but I havent taken Anatomy or Biochem. If I dont get in this time around, I'll go ahead and repeat those 4 classes I got C's in and also take Anatomy and Biochem. Lets hope it doesnt come to that! haha :cool:

emogrrrrl said:
Yes Texas Tech is on a rolling admission. So basically, the earlier your interview the better. If you are accepted straight off from your interview group you will know within 7-10 days...depending on how far away you live :D . I received mine on day 10. But don't fret if you don't get an acceptance right away. If you ranked pretty high, but just not high enough for your interview date, and you end up being ranked higher than anyone on the next interiew day then you will receive an acceptance letter. And so on...

Personally, I love the program. I like the way it's set up and I like what they are trying to accomplish. Although our program has been said to be one of the most, if not, the most rigorous in part b/c we consistently take 19 credit hours per semester on top of clerkships which start in the second year. We are very fortunate because in your first semester of your first year you get to do a cadaver lab (not many pharmacy schools out there have one, only a handful)- pretty amazing as far as I'm concerned.
I want to be a clinical pharmacist so the program is perfect for me. The professors are very open and they are always available for help. Most of them have open door policies. Our class size is still pretty small compared to other schools, so it isn't intimidating to ask questions in class. For the 3rd and fourth years you get to choose where you want to be (you have 3 options). Pretty much everyone gets their first choice (99%), alot of schools if you have to relocate for your fourth year it's randomly assigned.
A con for me is that it's in Amarillo. Not quite the bustling metropolis of say houston or austin. I'm a city girl, I've never lived in a small town in my life, it's an adjustment. To be honest, you're so busy it doesn't really matter. You make friends, and you find things to do. Plus I have the option of Dallas for my last 2 years to look forward to.
Every school has its pros and cons- my pros may be someone elses cons. If you have any other questions and I can answer them I will be happy to do so.

I have also applied at Tech and I have an interview on Feb. 4. I was just wondering if you could give me some more info about that cadaver lab. I'm a little squeamish.

dancqt04 said:
I have also applied at Tech and I have an interview on Feb. 4. I was just wondering if you could give me some more info about that cadaver lab. I'm a little squeamish.

There's 5 labs out of the semester where you will go down to the medical school in lubbock and will observe cadavers- learning the anatomy. There were people in our class that were also a bit squeemish, but they did fine. They are aware that some people may not handle the lab very well so they deal with it accordingly. It's alot easier to learn anatomy when you can actually see it in real life.
Good luck with your interview in a week. I'm sure I'll be hanging around somewhere. Be sure to bring a coat b/c it's pretty cold...snowed last night :D .

just wondering ...for all the people who got interviews at tt or any other other school in texas...when do you get the interview letters....2 or 3 weeks in advance?

driving to amarillo is a pretty long trip from h-town
....and a lot of schedule planning.

pharmd2b2009 said:
just wondering ...for all the people who got interviews at tt or any other other school in texas...when do you get the interview letters....2 or 3 weeks in advance?

driving to amarillo is a pretty long trip from h-town
....and a lot of schedule planning.

I interviewed and moved from Houston and I highly don't recommend driving. SW tickets are pretty cheap ($60 each way), you can usually select a date up to 3 weeks from the time you receive an invitation.

For those of you who got interviews to Tech...did your online application status change now that you have an interview? Mine still says applied/complete. I havent been invited to an interview, but I keep checking to see if anything changes, just in case. :)

rxaggie2005 said:
For those of you who got interviews to Tech...did your online application status change now that you have an interview? Mine still says applied/complete. I havent been invited to an interview, but I keep checking to see if anything changes, just in case. :)

yeah....i hear ya.....same here.check twicw everyday so far noin' changed...but then again the interviews just start next week according to thier schedule..so there's still a lot of time left.

i just finished applying to TT last night, UT and and TAMUK(thats not opening if you havent heard) a month ago. does anyone know which school is 'easier' to get into?

FutureRxGal said:
Why isn't TAMUK opening?

Yeah, I didn't read about this on their website....hmmmmmm... :confused:

pharmd2b2009 said:
I Just got a letter from them about this yeaterday....sucks..i guess they just could'nt get their act together

BTW for the people that have already had the interviews at TT this year how many people were there in each interview

there were about 21 people in my round