Texas Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoMavericks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know BlueDevil heard from UTMB, but has anyone else been accepted off the waitlist of a Texas school yet? I'm getting impatient...

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard of much. I was waitlisted at A&M, but since I was accepted to Texas Tech I was taken off the waitlist which is sad. But I have heard of several people over the years that get in off the waitlist at UTHouston before classes start in the fall. Good luck!

Hey guys,
I spoke with Christy Mendez from Houston and she said the class was still full, oversubscribed actually, and that she didn't know if/when there would be any movement. Also, A&M 's class is also still oversubscribed. I had thought there would probably be more movement, but because most of the TX schools offered more initial acceptances than previous years, the waitlists aren't moving much. Keep your fingers crossed, hopeefully everything will work out in the end. Best of luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I had another question. I was really disappointed when I got into Texas Tech since it's the school so many people joke about in Texas. But do you guys think that it is that bad of a school? I know the location is bad, but besides that would I really be hurt by the education I will receive? Thanks!

Herenow,

Hope this will put your mind at ease. I'm going to be an MS2 at Tech in the Fall. You will receive just as good an education as you would anywhere else in the state. I think people may joke about our school due to a lack of knowledge about Tech and Lubbock in general. I had a blast first year and am now completing a peds internship that I felt completely prepared for by Tech. Be happy you're coming here - it'll be a great time!! If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

Later.

heh, I thought most people joked about San Antonio. No offense to those guys, but I really couldn't believe it when they started out the day with: "We know that widespread opinion is that this is an "easy" school, but we are doing all we can to dispell it..."

That kinda left me in shock.

But that's the way in Texas...everyone wants to go to Houston or Baylor and no one wants to go anywhere else. :p

I think the only thing anyone ever says about Tech has nothing to do with the medical school, but how much they hate Lubbock. Cry me a river. I grew up in West Texas, so I actually like Lubbock quite a bit. I think it is an incredibly comfortable place to live, as compared to Houston, Dallas or San Antonio. It is a bit of a shock if you are used to East Texas green though. :wink:

My cousin goes to Tech as well, and I know from talking to him that the education is just as good if not better than the other medical schools in Texas.

If you want to ask about the area, I'll be glad to help out. I'm pretty familiar with it, and getting better since I moved up here in May.

Hey Espion--UTMB gets bashed a lot also (smaller pt base; higher failure rate on the boards; placed on probation by LCME at one time, etc), but I think all these neurotic worries are just another facet of our premedical existence. It became really obvious to me that Tech is a good school when I noticed how all the med students I met at both the interview and at spring training had honest and positive opinions of the school (met lots of them, so it wasn't a skewed sample). I guess it's our turn to belabor the obvious for the benefit of next year's applicants: any TX school is a good school. I cannot wait to wrap things up and start school. Have you started working on Dr. Pelley's homework?

Hey BioAggie--good to see you are soon to be an MSII. I had a question about doing internships after 1st year of school: is it possible to do these in any part of the state? I have heard of the state sponsored preceptorship in primary care, and was wondering if that's what you're doing. Thanks!

Heh, no I haven't started on the homework quite yet. It took me three days to figure out what "personality type" I was.

To me, these things always read like a horoscope...you can find something about every one of them that applies to you. Some of the questions I just couldn't answer one way or the other, so I ended up right on the line with two of the letters (with the other two being a most definitely one way). I mean, how can you answer: "Do you prefer the challenge of timed tests or the preciseness of untimed tests?" I prefer to get them over, whether its a challenge, timed or not. Whattabunchagoofballs. :p

Aside from the horoscope-y personality tests, I think that the study portion will be quite interesting. This sounds silly, but it kind of whets my appetite for something to study. (I will regret these words later. I know it.) I've been out of school too long.

Well, I will be an MSII at Tech too (hey BioAggie how ya doin'?). But I like the education that I received at Tech so far. The professors are great, and I love the people in our class. The only thing that sucks is Lubbock (I'm sorry but I have to say it). But if anyone has specific questions about Tech, BioAggie and I are hear to answer.

P.S. Even though the personality typing seems difficult, I would definitely recommend finding out your type because it will help with figuring out your study habits for medical school.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by tristate:
•Even though the personality typing seems difficult, I would definitely recommend finding out your type because it will help with figuring out your study habits for medical school.•••••Ok, this is going to sound stupid perhaps, but how? I've looked through the entire book, and I haven't found that answer yet. (Even though I do agree that it is a very good book, as far as study skills go.)

Hey Castaway,

Yes, it is possible to do the preceptorships anywhere in the state. There are 3 statewide programs - in pediatrics, internal medicine, and family medicine. I'm just finishing my peds one at a private hospital here in Lubbock, and will then do one in family med at Tech. Also, you can do a preceptorship in emergency med - Tristate's the one to talk to on that :wink: . Email me if you've got any specific ?s. I highly recommend the peds program. I'll let you know next month on the family med.

Later.

Well, the personality typing helps with finding out study habits in that you find out what types of study habits fit you. For example, if you're an extrovert, it's not going to do you any good to sit at home alone and read. You need a study group. Or, if you like to be organized, then you can figure out the best way to organize your notes (and the same goes if you're not organized).

Thanks BioAggie. The emergency medicine preceptorship is only offered at Texas Tech for Tech medical students. Other schools might have a emergency medicine preceptorship, but I haven't heard about them. But all of the preceptorships are good whether they are ran statewide or at local hospitals.

Man alive, it took me forever to pin down what type I was...I actually went through the whole book today (I have a boring temp job). I found out that I have a short attention span, must take frequent breaks, and tend to jump around a lot when reading.

Needless to say, that book took me the WHOLE day.

I'm never gonna survive. :p

I sure hope we have a good class. Meaning a good mix of people and ideas and such. I've heard too many horror stories of med school being like going back to high school. That's *just* what I need. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! :)

Hey Espion, don't worry there will be enough diversity in a class of 130 people. Right now my attention span runs in milliseconds and I am having the hardest time finishing the book even though I also have a boring job. But, I should have an idea of my type real soon, because I just need to know......

BioAggie--thanks for the info. I'll email you with questions. Tristate--I am excited to hear about the EM preceptorship. What does it involve exactly (if you don't mind elaborating)? Is it done at the UMC, or can we choose to go to El Paso? I was thinking of shadowing an EM doc in my 1st year--you think there's time to do that?
Sorry about the spate of questions, but I have a feeling that EM just might be for me. Thanks!