Textbooks for 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM_is_cool_I_guess

Reaction score
4th year going into IM here. To every one else - 4th year is the promised land. I legit just chill for pretty much everyday for the whole day. Plenty of time to relax and do hobbies. Maybe... too much relaxation time. I really enjoy IM and am a huge nerd at heart, so instead of mindlessly scrolling youtube or reddit I spend ~1 hour a day now reading various texts just to stimulate myself and supplement my knowledge out of boredom. This isn't something I feel obligated to do and have skipped plenty of days.

That being said - I'm looking for textbook recommendations to read through. Something aimed at a generalist level, nothing extremely heavy. I do take notes on the texts. Maybe it will help intern year, maybe not. I don't care. I'm just craving some stimulation.

I've read through Garcia's 12-lead EKG
I'm currently reading Topf and Fuebel's Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base (really great, recommend this a ton)
Plan on reading Felson's principles of chest roentgenology
Will probably try to read the ICU book and ventilator book before my one legit last CCM rotation.

I'm dumb, and require a text with plenty of figures and diagrams. Ideally aimed for a generalist, not preclinical med student or fellow level. Really looking for an endocrine text because I suck at endocrinology, but am happy to look at anything else.

Anyone got recommendations? (please don't recommend Harrison's...)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Embrace the chance to relax. Cook, bake, sleep, exercise, read for fun. Intern you will miss those things. Trust me.

If you really want to study IM, I recommend “Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment.” It’s a brick, but more reader-friendly than Cecil’s or Harrison’s.

Reactions: 2 users
4th year going into IM here. To every one else - 4th year is the promised land. I legit just chill for pretty much everyday for the whole day. Plenty of time to relax and do hobbies. Maybe... too much relaxation time. I really enjoy IM and am a huge nerd at heart, so instead of mindlessly scrolling youtube or reddit I spend ~1 hour a day now reading various texts just to stimulate myself and supplement my knowledge out of boredom. This isn't something I feel obligated to do and have skipped plenty of days.

That being said - I'm looking for textbook recommendations to read through. Something aimed at a generalist level, nothing extremely heavy. I do take notes on the texts. Maybe it will help intern year, maybe not. I don't care. I'm just craving some stimulation.

I've read through Garcia's 12-lead EKG
I'm currently reading Topf and Fuebel's Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base (really great, recommend this a ton)
Plan on reading Felson's principles of chest roentgenology
Will probably try to read the ICU book and ventilator book before my one legit last CCM rotation.

I'm dumb, and require a text with plenty of figures and diagrams. Ideally aimed for a generalist, not preclinical med student or fellow level. Really looking for an endocrine text because I suck at endocrinology, but am happy to look at anything else.

Anyone got recommendations? (please don't recommend Harrison's...)
Pocket medicine is perfect for you to read through. And the summary and recommendation sections of UpToDate.

The Most Common Inpatient Problems in Internal Medicine

Agree that 4th year is the gift that keeps on giving. I miss it just thinking about it's place between the hell of 3rd year and the hell of intern year.

I learn best from question format. So, even though I just did a prelim medicine year, I did want to learn it well as if I was taking boards. As such, I bought a few of the results on Amazon when searching "internal medicine board review"; otherwise, I enjoyed the 5-minute clinical consult book. Anything short/to the point, high yield.