Textbooks good for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeoAnderson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to you all,

I am studying in a greek university and the coming year the subjects that I have are Pathology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology and Microbiology.
In order to prepare better for the Step 1, I am considering reading from english textbooks for the subjects above during the coursework.
Robbins pathologic basis of disease, Lange pathophysiology and Microbiology MRS.
What's your opinion?
As far as pharmacology is concerned, am I better off buying Rang and Dale's or Harvey?
(My medical school already provides me with a free Harvey 4th edition in Greek)

Thanks a ton.

Members don't see this ad.

1) For Path/ Pathophysio use Pathoma or Goljan RR whichever you prefer.
2) For Pharma Kaplan Lec. notes are good
3) For Micro CMMRS
4) This is most important, get your copy of First Aid (this is enough for micro and pharma) and compliment with UWorld.

Also, have a look at other students' exam experiences. There are excellent posts in the thread.

Peace zealot, thank you for your valuable help.
Your recommendations are about review resources. What I am asking about is recommendations about reference textbooks for the first time reading on each subject.

Peace zealot, thank you for your valuable help.
Your recommendations are about review resources. What I am asking about is recommendations about reference textbooks for the first time reading on each subject.

Path/Pathophysio = Robbins Basic Pathology (NOT the humongous Pathologic Basis of Disease... I'm talking about the MEDIUM Robbins with a cartoon of a cell/organelles on the cover)

Micro = CMMRS as peace zealot advised. It's good enough for 1st time learners and quite comprehensive, yet boards-relevant

Pharm = no need to read a textbook on this. Really just study FA pharm

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much for your help, Aclamity.

Can I be sure by using Basic Pathology along with Review of Pathology (and after that Goljian RR) that I will not miss out anything (materialwise and as far as deep understanding of pathology is concerned) for the step 1?

Sorry for not stating it earlier, I am aiming in obtaining a score around 260-270.

Path: Pathoma or Goljan
Physio: BRS physio
Pharm: FA or some flashcards if youd like, lippincott is good for concepts but maybe too heavy for review
Micro: Made ridiculously simple
Biochem: Rapid review, kaplan or lippincott. Lange Flashcards here are pretty good too.
Behavioral: High Yield Behavior
Immuno: High Yield, Levinson, depends on your taste
Embryo: Lol, FA is enough
Anatomy: FA is usually enough, might have to look at some atlas and radiology atlas
Neuro: HY Neuroanatomy, gold standard
Genetics and statistics: I used HY for these two, might be overkill for some but whatever

Then qbanks to drill in concepts:
Uworld = best qbank, the explanations are to die for
UsmleRX = rumored to be like the easy questions on real exam, qbank is offered by the ppl who wrote FA
Kaplan = the worst qbank, gave up on it halfway thru, regret I bought it. Some of these questions will test your patience and temper big time. Stay away unless you want to spend alot of money for small amounts of gain.

kaplan lecture series books are excellent.

Disagree. Only good book that has come out of kaplan has been Biochem, but even then there are other superior books than the kaplan biochem.

FA, RR w/ Goljan Audio, HY Behavioral, CMMRS (helps with FA micro chapter a lot, pretty much copied/pasted from it in my opinion), Pathoma is good (but better early in studies i think), Anatomy and tract chapters from HY Neuro. I think BRS phys only if ur phys is bad. UWorld takes care of the rest. Honestly, if you do UWorld correctly itll give you all the subtle sneaky things you wouldve gained from stuff like RR/pathoma and other books

Thank you very much for your help, Aclamity.

Can I be sure by using Basic Pathology along with Review of Pathology (and after that Goljian RR) that I will not miss out anything (materialwise and as far as deep understanding of pathology is concerned) for the step 1?

Sorry for not stating it earlier, I am aiming in obtaining a score around 260-270.

Yeah I strongly believe Basic Path will cover all your bases for path. I'm like you and prefer having a comprehensive textbook as a deeper reference and to guide my studying. Robbins does just that. And it also sounds like you would benefit from Goljan RR. I felt like RR was pretty much an outline of Robbins, so check it out for sure. Can't say anything about Robbin's review, though, since I never used it. Honestly I don't think it's necessary if you have all the other qbanks at your disposal