TFE - PAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyfaceschoolkid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just started using the "counting" method that a kaplan course taught me for TFE and get a lot of them right on DAT bootcamp. Is it similar on the DAT? if not, can someone please explain me how to approach TFE problems? Maybe a youtube video they saw, the ones I've seen haven't helped much.

Members don't see this ad.

Line counting can only serve as a preliminary method. Most of the DAT questions will not fancy it. You will need to develop the ability to form the 3D image from the projections given. But most of time the answer can be found before the entire picture could appear in your mind. Practice makes perfect. DAT Genius and DAT Achiever both feature very good practice on this section since their questions discourage you from doing the line counting shortcut.

Do not use line counting! The questions on the dat are made now so that you can't use line counting on them anymore. I agree that genius was the best a prepping me for tfe

Reactions: 1 users
Do not use line counting! The questions on the dat are made now so that you can't use line counting on them anymore. I agree that genius was the best a prepping me for tfe
THIS!!

I agree, do NOT use that method. ADA caught on and now make their questions specifically so that line counting is an unreliable method.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to struggle on TFE, and looked far and wide for some 'tricks or techniques', but realized the only way to get better is to simply practice visualizing. Look at the 3D shape and notice key points (indentions/holes), try to get a general idea of what the shape may look like, then go straight to your answer choices and start eliminating. DAT Bootcamp provides pretty great explanations that will help you. I also did about 100 TFE generator questions a day (they are a bit easier than the real thing).

Reactions: 1 user
DONT DO THE LINES haha.

It actually is pretty easy to pick up on a few trends of the TPE. I suggest use the DAT BC generator, the questions won't be alike alike but you can learn the intricacies. Line counting can help in a jam. Learn how to connect the two given images. This will help you with ALL problems and not just some of the problems.

I agree, BC TFE generator problems are a bit easy, but you can still use them to help you develop the speed you need for the real test.