TFESI / Intralaminar Injections

Discussion in 'Pain Medicine' started by ShadyMedicine, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ShadyMedicine

2+ Year Member

I'm a medical student and I received the quoted information below about injections in an email. I've been doing very casual research about Pain Medicine as a speciality I might pursue. It seems like part of the bolded part seems intentionally misleading and not medically "sound" -- does that seem like the case?

2. SSdoc33

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

who sent you this info? do you have any references for any of this?

3. ShadyMedicine

2+ Year Member

A guy on another pain forum. No references were provided.

4. algosdoc

algosdoc algosdoc
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Burton report on epidural steroids has long been quoted by patients vehemently opposed to steroid injections after a bad experience or bad outcome or by patients wanting to sue their doctors. It was written by a surgeon instead of a pain physician, and is filled with half truths and outright lies. It makes the assertion that PEG that is included as an ingredient in Depomedrol is "antifreeze" however it points out the surgeon's deficit in knowlege of epidural steroid injections is only superceded by his ignorance regarding the composition of antifreeze. PEG is found in hundreds of drugs frequently administered to humans and is the same molecule as is found in miralax, hardly antifreeze. Take everything you read from your source with a grain of salt. Anyone quoting the Burton report has a predetermined agenda.