thank u wamc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

renrenxi

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you notate which ones you are shooting for regarding MD/PhD in your list?

Your non-clinical community service volunteering seems to be really light and could get you excluded from many of your strictly MD schools on the list, not to mention whether you would be a good fit with some of the MSTP schools.

Why MD/PhD? What is it about translational medicine makes you want to remain a student for 8+ years? Why not PhD alone where you could get a stipend (as well) without the med school debt?

Yes, I have changed it!

Sorry, one of the activities was non-clinical community service and I just mentioned the leadership portion--fixed it above!

Thank you for recognizing my readiness for a PhD! However, I need the MD because I want to work in a very specific section of medicine (I'm currently working in it at NIH) and I seriously need a full medical education to understand that spectrum of diseases, how they relate to and are different from one another, their known pathologies and symptoms, and other medical knowledge that may later reveal itself as having been the culprit/an accomplice all along! Having only my PhD will not allow me to fully comprehend or even anticipate and act on any of this. While I am given excellent training, my view of the diseases is only partial, whereas with the MD, I have full knowledge beyond what we currently understand regarding the disease and can apply that extended knowledge through my research training and forge new paths in terms of understanding and treatments in my field. If I were forced to choose between the two, I would pick an MD, but to accomplish what I truly want in life (without years and years of postdoc training after MD-only and while capitalizing on tons of prior research experience), I need both.

Yes, I have changed it!

Sorry, one of the activities was non-clinical community service and I just mentioned the leadership portion--fixed it above!

Thank you for recognizing my readiness for a PhD! However, I need the MD because I want to work in a very specific section of medicine (I'm currently working in it at NIH) and I seriously need a full medical education to understand that spectrum of diseases, how they relate to and are different from one another, their known pathologies and symptoms, and other medical knowledge that may later reveal itself as having been the culprit/an accomplice all along! Having only my PhD will not allow me to fully comprehend or even anticipate and act on any of this. While I am given excellent training, my view of the diseases is only partial, whereas with the MD, I have full knowledge beyond what we currently understand regarding the disease and can apply that extended knowledge through my research training and forge new paths in terms of understanding and treatments in my field. If I were forced to choose between the two, I would pick an MD, but to accomplish what I truly want in life (without years and years of postdoc training after MD-only and while capitalizing on tons of prior research experience), I need both.
I know you're keeping the details to safeguard your privacy, but I guess I don't quite get your point about what you want to study regarding research and why you must have both degrees. In any event, which programs on your list study this group of diseases? You should be able to find out and determine the community of researchers. That should dictate where you should prioritize. IMO, 22 MSTP programs are too many (that's over half of those programs).

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user