-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Thank you letter
Started by daysinnnc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Is it a good idea to send a thank you letter after an interview?
If you want. I know it has no effect on me when I receive thank you emails after I have already interviewed the student.
It is not the matter of whether or not it will affect the outcome of your interview. It shows a professional manner that an educated person should have. Yes true, they might not even remember you, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. But if you do say thank you to them, just make sure you mean it.If you want. I know it has no effect on me when I receive thank you emails after I have already interviewed the student.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is not the matter of whether or not it will affect the outcome of your interview. It shows a professional manner that an educated person should have. Yes true, they might not even remember you, you don't have to do anything if you don't want to. But if you do say thank you to them, just make sure you mean it.
I agree. It's always a great idea to do when you just had a job interview, and this IS kind of a job interview. It shows professionalism and gratitude which reflects how much a person wants to be accepted.
Do it. It's not like it will hurt your chances, it can only help. Just don't wait long. Do it the same day if possible by e-mail.
I think writing out actual thank you notes is the way to go. I personally sent 99 cent thank you cards that were blank inside. I wrote something to the effect of "thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview with you this past Thursday, it was a great pleasure meeting you..." I don't know if these made any difference, but I got into the school I wanted to attend this year.
WAZZUP DR. G, thanx for the interview. Hope to see u soon! lol? this is the impression i'm getting.Is it okay if my note is only a few sentences?
I wrote thank you notes out of courtesy. Look for some good examples on google.
Should I reiterate my interest in the school and how I'm a good fit? Should I "sell" myself in a thank you letter?
Definitely!
So how do you all think this sounds for a short thank you email? It seems a bit short, but I dont really know how to add to it without sounding like I am trying to influence their decisions.
Dear ____,
I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to interview me this past Tuesday. It was a great pleasure to meet and speak with you and I look forward joining ____'s Pharmacy program, whether it be this coming Fall or the following.
Dear ____,
I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to interview me this past Tuesday. It was a great pleasure to meet and speak with you and I look forward joining ____'s Pharmacy program, whether it be this coming Fall or the following.
So how do you all think this sounds for a short thank you email? It seems a bit short, but I dont really know how to add to it without sounding like I am trying to influence their decisions.
Dear ____,
I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to interview me this past Tuesday. It was a great pleasure to meet and speak with you and I look forward joining ____'s Pharmacy program, whether it be this coming Fall or the following.
I think it sounds great. However, I would just end the sentence at program.
"...I look forward to joining ___'s Pharmacy program."
when you say "either this fall or the following" it sounds like you aren't confident.
So how do you all think this sounds for a short thank you email? It seems a bit short, but I dont really know how to add to it without sounding like I am trying to influence their decisions.
Dear ____,
I just wanted to thank you again for taking the time to interview me this past Tuesday. It was a great pleasure to meet and speak with you and I look forward joining ____'s Pharmacy program, whether it be this coming Fall or the following.
yea 'whether it be this fall or the following' definitely does not sound confident, u should not put that in there
Hand-written (assuming you can write legibly...) is the way to go. It takes a little more time but I think reflects positively upon you as an applicant.
It is also nice to refer to something specific you mentioned during the interview. While I kept mine short (4-5 sentences) I tried to personalize them, at least a little. This way they are more likely to remember who you were when they receive the thank-you! For instance, I provided the publishing info for an article that was published a week after one interview. In another, I said something like, I especially appreciated your willingness to answer my questions; as a student at ___ I hope to become involved in ___.
It is also nice to refer to something specific you mentioned during the interview. While I kept mine short (4-5 sentences) I tried to personalize them, at least a little. This way they are more likely to remember who you were when they receive the thank-you! For instance, I provided the publishing info for an article that was published a week after one interview. In another, I said something like, I especially appreciated your willingness to answer my questions; as a student at ___ I hope to become involved in ___.
Hand-written (assuming you can write legibly...) is the way to go. It takes a little more time but I think reflects positively upon you as an applicant.
It is also nice to refer to something specific you mentioned during the interview. While I kept mine short (4-5 sentences) I tried to personalize them, at least a little. This way they are more likely to remember who you were when they receive the thank-you! For instance, I provided the publishing info for an article that was published a week after one interview. In another, I said something like, I especially appreciated your willingness to answer my questions; as a student at ___ I hope to become involved in ___.
I like your suggestion about the personalization. One of my interviewers remember me from a brief encounter we had several months back. Do you think it sounds alright to say something like, "... and I was astonished that you remembered me from our encounter during the PCAT review", or does this sound a bit insulting or lacking in confidence? Thank you.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a general suggestion to a related topic, but when I was finished with the interview, I asked each of the three people for their business cards or contact information so I may send my appreciation. All of them were surprised, which told me that no one that day had asked for business cards. Maybe it gave me extra kudos, or maybe not, but its a nice and professional thing to do.
(They told me that they didn't have any cards, but to look up their email addresses on the school's site. I sent my thanks that way.)
(They told me that they didn't have any cards, but to look up their email addresses on the school's site. I sent my thanks that way.)
Hi again. So I didn't get in last year, but have just now finished the interview process again and would like to write thank you letters again. I was just wondering about a couple things before I do. For one thing, I feel like both of my interviewers did a really great job of making the interview feel much more relaxed then it could have been. Do you all thing that it would be a good idea to mention this to them in my thank you letter, or would that be too much of an indication that I might have been nervous during the interview?
Second, I looked up one of the professors that interviewed me and noticed that she taught at another university that I am a little interested in. Would it be odd if I were to ask her to compare her teaching experiences at the two universities?
Second, I looked up one of the professors that interviewed me and noticed that she taught at another university that I am a little interested in. Would it be odd if I were to ask her to compare her teaching experiences at the two universities?
Is it a good idea to send a thank you letter after an interview?
Be EXTREMELY careful there. I'm currently a pharmacy student in PA, and at the end of my interview we were told by the admission office secretary NOT to send any letters, emails, or any other forms of communication to our interviewers or else our application would be automatically rejected. I'm not joking. I wouldn't take the chance. Send your notes once you get ACCEPTED. Maybe it was just my school, I'm definitely not assuming it's all of them. If you weren't told anything, go for it.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E
- Question
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 6K
S
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K
S