thank you letters after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaminofpharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you suggest sending thank yous to your interviewer? if so, is email better (so it reaches them quickly) or is snail mail better? suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering about that as well. Please let us know

Search the threads about this, it was recently discussed not too long ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you suggest sending thank yous to your interviewer? if so, is email better (so it reaches them quickly) or is snail mail better? suggestions?

Proper etiquette dictates that you send them a handwritten thank you note. This obviously makes it important to remember your interviewers' names and to obtain their last names from someone running the interview process before you leave so that the letter can reach them. I was told to send them to the interview care of the admissions department. This was information given to me at a health care interview workshop on campus at my undergrad school through the career services center.

It is also helpful to bring up specific points from your interview to help them recall who you were.

Hope that helps :)

i think it's more of an etiquette (which is why Western says that). i think IMMEDIATELY after your interview, interviewers have like say 5-10 minutes where they write their evaluation (UCSF emphasizes to say why people may be last and or have to wait). those evaluations will be turned in w/ your profile.

from then on, the interviewers can't write anything else (unless they are on the committee). the committee then review your ENTIRE paper application again + w/ the new evaluations (of both interview & writing) and make final decisions.

i think schools suggest that b/c it's a nice etiquette to do. but i mean it's not gonna affect their decsion to admit you or not.

Why in my case did I get a thank you letter from the school where I interviewed a week after the interview? Do you guys still suggest I write to them? The school's thank you letter specifically mentioned the names of my interviewers. Suggest please.

if you want to write a thank you letter because you genuinely want to thank the interviewer(s), then go ahead. If you want to do write a thank you letter to your interviewer (either as a sole purpose or an additional purpose) in hopes of increasing your chances of getting in, your chances are 0. When my interviewees left my room, I immediately wrote their evalutions; your chance to impress me was during or 30-45 minute interview. Before i went home for the day, I turned them in.