• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

MonoMatt304

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hey everyone.

I'm curious as to whether or not most people that got accepted to some schools sent thank you letters/e-mails to the people they interviewed with or to the school as a whole?

Some people have told me that it is a must, but I've always felt like it was too forward or overdoing it, although I have sent some.

Thanks.

acetyl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I don't think it's a big deal either way. There certainly is no harm in thanking someone for helping you achieve your goal; you did have to earn their opinion on you and they certainly did not give you anything. I think it would be a nice gesture and not considered sucking up at all.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
The bottom of a pile of debt.
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Western specifically suggests in their website to send thank you letters/emails to your interviewers. (Not that I did). There have been two or three such threads in the last 6 months, if you search you can read them. I've searched and bumped similar threads in the past, but they usually only stay on the 1st page for a day (sometimes a few hours if there's a lot of activity.)

About the Ads

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status (Visible)
Western specifically suggests in their website to send thank you letters/emails to your interviewers. (Not that I did). There have been two or three such threads in the last 6 months, if you search you can read them. I've searched and bumped similar threads in the past, but they usually only stay on the 1st page for a day (sometimes a few hours if there's a lot of activity.)

Gawd... you're chittin me... Western suggests that? Is Oppenheimer the dean at Western??

MonoMatt304

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Sorry... I didn't see the other threads.

Did a search for "thank you", but it said it was too generic. Did a search for "letter" and "email" also and got around a thousand responses.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status (Visible)
So Farmer... you may not realize it but since you and I have co existed in some sort of parallel universe... I say that because I've lived in Arkansas and am very familiar with the culture and I've also lived in CA.. before and while in RX school.. did I tell you about my pharmacy school roomie and one of my best friends?

He has never taken the SAT or ACT... he grew up in Rancho Cucamonga..then after HS, went to a JC in San Bernardino.. from there he transferred to CSUSB.. still didn't need the SAT nor ACT... then he applied to USC RX school and somehow got it..

He was the goofiest guy..tall and lanky...very aloof and almost forrest gump like.. C student at best. I still remember taking him out through LA in my jeep where he couldn't believe all those tall buildings..

He was such a nice guy..he became the class president 2nd year.. but went on to do a residency...then on to pharmacoeconomics Masters..

Not only does he live in Newport Beach overlooking the ocean...he's got a cool pharmacy job also.

Good things happen to good people.

There is really no point to my post.

amusefan

Supermassive Black Hole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
So Farmer... you may not realize it but since you and I have co existed in some sort of parallel universe... I say that because I've lived in Arkansas and am very familiar with the culture and I've also lived in CA.. before and while in RX school.. did I tell you about my pharmacy school roomie and one of my best friends?

He has never taken the SAT or ACT... he grew up in Rancho Cucamonga..then after HS, went to a JC in San Bernardino.. from there he transferred to CSUSB.. still didn't need the SAT nor ACT... then he applied to USC RX school and somehow got it..

He was the goofiest guy..tall and lanky...very aloof and almost forrest gump like.. C student at best. I still remember taking him out through LA in my jeep where he couldn't believe all those tall buildings..

He was such a nice guy..he became the class president 2nd year.. but went on to do a residency...then on to pharmacoeconomics Masters..

Not only does he live in Newport Beach overlooking the ocean...he's got a cool pharmacy job also.

:smuggrin: wow that's an encouraging story..

Farmercyst

From the shadows
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist

I'm slightly different. Took the ACT 3 times 7th, 10th, and 12th grade. B/B+ student, but C student at heart. I just want to do enough to get by. Was your roomie C student cuz he didn't care for anything else or because that was the limit of his abilities? I don't run like Forrest anymore, had bursitis in my right heel. Kept me off my feet too long.:D Maybe I could get braces so I could dance like Elvis.
I hate the ocean. My wife loves it though, so I'll probably be stuck with a house overlooking the ocean. I know... poor, poor pitiful me.

ZpackSux

Retired
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2005
Dallas, TX
Status (Visible)
I'm slightly different. Took the ACT 3 times 7th, 10th, and 12th grade. B/B+ student, but C student at heart. I just want to do enough to get by. Was your roomie C student cuz he didn't care for anything else or because that was the limit of his abilities? I don't run like Forrest anymore, had bursitis in my right heel. Kept me off my feet too long.:D Maybe I could get braces so I could dance like Elvis.
I hate the ocean. My wife loves it though, so I'll probably be stuck with a house overlooking the ocean. I know... poor, poor pitiful me.

At the time, that was the limit of his abilities. I remember after an exam during first year, we were looking at our test scores... His score was little below 50% rank... He looked at me and lamented..."look...I'm just little below average...that's all I am..."

Tho he progressed nicely...I think he aced CA RX board and kicked butt in the NAPLEX.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status (Visible)
Personally, I prefer a handwritten note.

I'm not permanent faculty so I don't check email at all. I do however pick up US mail which is in my slot. (The university has their own way of communicating with me.)

This is a simple courtesey & one you would do to follow up any job interview, IMO.

PCATtaker

Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, Fla
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I didn't because usually the professors will not respond to you or even accept emails from students NOT enrolled in that school.

drugdoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
DON'T EMAIL thank you's!!! It is much more proper to write an intelligent thank you card to your interviewer. Emailing such an important thing shows laziness.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.