Thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pulsedriver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it still proper etiquette to write thank you letters to the people you had write your letters of recommendation even though you still see these people on a daily/weekly basis?

I can understand writing one to my professor since I don't see him anymore but my pharmacist and my boss I see every week/day respectively.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it still proper etiquette to write thank you letters to the people you had write your letters of recommendation even though you still see these people on a daily/weekly basis?

I can understand writing one to my professor since I don't see him anymore but my pharmacist and my boss I see every week/day respectively.

Yes. After all, they went an extra step, beyond your everyday interactions, to write that letter for you. And also it feels nice to receive thank you letters. :) It's very unpleasant to feel being taken for granted - makes you never want to do something for that person again... from my personal experience. :)

I agree. Even if you are on more friendly/casual terms with the professor, you should definitely write a little note for them. You never want to take the chance of burning a bridge you might need later because of a small lapse in etiquette.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. It's always best to write a thank-you card/letter to let them know that you appreciate the time they took out to help you. Some of my professors wrote 2 recommendations for me, so I went beyond and got them a small gift after the whole process was done.

ya for the people that I know pretty well, I went out and bought their lunch for them at work lol.

I'd say that for the professors you do not see all the time, that a 'thank you' letter would be appropriate.

Your pharmacy supervisor, you could verbally thank, and buy him or her a coffee or something. It all depends on gauing their personalities and having a good feel for the dynamic where you work.