Thank you letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monica949

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think it may be a good idea to send thank you letters to schools they've interviewed at? I thought about doing this particularly for schools I'm really hoping to hear from, but thought it may be a bit on the cheesy side, so I thought I'd consult with people.

If anyone does think that sending a thank you letter is a good idea, when would be a good time to send it? Obviously after interviewing would make the most sense, but I've heard people send it after hearing that they've been rejected and recieving an offer later when an extra seat became available...... what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no experience with this. However, sending a thank-you letter certainly couldn't hurt. It's commonplace in a business setting to send a thank-you letter after an interview, but I've never heard of doing so after an interview to graduate school.

My only advice, if you do decide to do it, would be to send an actual letter. Do NOT email a thank you letter, as that will appear lazy and half-hearted.

Does anyone think it may be a good idea to send thank you letters to schools they've interviewed at? I thought about doing this particularly for schools I'm really hoping to hear from, but thought it may be a bit on the cheesy side, so I thought I'd consult with people.

If anyone does think that sending a thank you letter is a good idea, when would be a good time to send it? Obviously after interviewing would make the most sense, but I've heard people send it after hearing that they've been rejected and recieving an offer later when an extra seat became available...... what do you think?

This topic has been covered before. Use the search function to find the pertinent threads. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no experience with this. However, sending a thank-you letter certainly couldn't hurt. It's commonplace in a business setting to send a thank-you letter after an interview, but I've never heard of doing so after an interview to graduate school.

My only advice, if you do decide to do it, would be to send an actual letter. Do NOT email a thank you letter, as that will appear lazy and half-hearted.

I agree. An email would seem like a lazy attempt.

This topic has been covered before. Use the search function to find the pertinent threads. Good luck!

I'm not on here all the time so...I'd have some difficulty in retreiving old threads like that....people can answer me if they feel like it, in my thread..but thanks for your thoughtful input

I sent thank you cards to everyone on the interview panel for my interview. Even the guy that sat at the far end of the table who didn't say a word. I have always sent thank you cards after an interview. Plus it gives you another opportunity to remind them of you come acceptance time which doesn't hurt.

I sent thank you cards to everyone on the interview panel for my interview. Even the guy that sat at the far end of the table who didn't say a word. I have always sent thank you cards after an interview. Plus it gives you another opportunity to remind them of you come acceptance time which doesn't hurt.

Oh...I like that you remembered every one of their names

I agree. An email would seem like a lazy attempt.

I think e-mails are perfectly okay. Especially in today's world. Hand written cards add a nice touch, but emails are good too. In fact, one of my interviewers even replied with nice thoughts to my thank you email!

Doesn't hurt at all. Did that the first time I applied. E-mailed too.

In this professional world, it's "impressive" to e-mail your thanks in the sense that you know that e-mail is the standard for conversations these days. E-mail is quicker. It's heartwarming to get a letter of thanks by mail.

Either way, but make sure you send them before they send out the decision letters.

I've heard of applicants sending thank you letters after med school/phD program interviews but not so much pharmacy. I guess it is generally good policy to send a thank you letter after an interview. I'd imagine it can only help your chances, unless you are way over-the-top in your letter and the adcom thinks you are trying to win them over after a sub-par interview.

Basically, I was told by the adcoms in an interview prep/tips session to send thank you notes by email or card as soon as possible (a day or less). Be prompt, short, and professional.

I have interviewed at two schools and I e-mailed my thank you notes for both. I think e-mails can be just as sincere, and they are cheaper and faster. I sent the thank you e-mails at night on the day of my interviews.

an email is just fine.
Too much and they will think you're bribing them or desperate.

if you're going to mail a card, make sure to keep it simple and inexpensive.

Maybe it's just me, but after all of the application fees and stress associated with applying to and interviewing at a school, the interviewees should be the ones receiving a thank you letter.

Maybe it's just me, but after all of the application fees and stress associated with applying to and interviewing at a school, the interviewees should be the ones receiving a thank you letter.

We do. Whether it be rejection or acceptance the letter always says "Thank you for your interest" or "Thank you for applying"...or am I mistaken?