Thank you note to the interviewer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb1759

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I was just wondering if I should send a thank you note by email or by snail mail to the interviewer? Also, should I send one to the person who was giving us the tour? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would send a thank you note to the admissions office by snail mail:thumbup:

I would do it too. I did it to two schools I have interviewed at so far and skipped the 3rd.

Members don't see this ad :)
should I do it by email or snail mail?... would email look bad?? and should I send it to the specific interviewer or have it sent to the general admissions office...?

should I do it by email or snail mail?... would email look bad?? and should I send it to the specific interviewer or have it sent to the general admissions office...?

I sent mine by email. Of course, this assumes that you have the email addresses of your interviewers. To make your email stand out as more personal, you can allude to an issue or highlight specific to your interviewer so he or she can remember who you were. Therefore, send out the thank you sooner than later. Send a thank you email also to the admissions officer just in case.

Definitely by SNAIL MAIL! Go to hallmark or the drug store and get some of those cards that say "thank you" on the outside and are blank inside. Send them to the person(s) who interviewed you, but make sure you individualize them instead of saying the same thing, esp to two or more interviewers at the same school. Usually a few days to a week afterward is a good time frame: They'll likely still remember you and have something tangible to remember you by until the admissions committee meets to make definite decisions.

How about a letter? Something professional, that you can tell them what you liked about the school and such?

I'd thought I'd send some flowers and chocolate...

they dont read the thank you cards that are sent by snail mail... the secretary writes your name down for some of them, but they really get to many so they dont have time to read them and they rarely see them... i know this because i sent something to a school and she said, oh no dont send it snail mail because it will get mixed up with all of the thank yous that we are getting and it will go to the secretary... i joked with her and said so you dont actually read them and she said, "of course not, no one does, there are just too many..."

makes sense... but i would say send an email stating thanking the person add something personal and then finally at the end say expect a proper thank you in the mail... blah blah blah you know so they know that you put the effort in and they will be looking out for it when you actally send it... (oh yea and actually send it by snail too)