Thank you notes for MD-PhD interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarasa Zebra

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do interviewers read them? Like them? Is it a good idea if you're really interested in the program?

Members don't see this ad.

n=1 here and all that, but from my experience it is variable on both programs and interviewers. I'd say that it almost certainly isn't required at most programs, though I know that there are people who do appreciate the notes even if they have little bearing on the outcome of your application.

I had one interviewer from a program where I did not get in invite me to her baby shower because we got along so well and had stayed in contact after the interview. I actually ran into one of my interviewers from the program I currently attend the other day, and he was really grateful that I had reached out to thank him for his time and that I had gone out of my way to say hi to him in the cafeteria.

Another anecdote (I am at a small-ish but rapidly growing program for reference): I was in the MD/PhD office yesterday talking with the program secretary, and the director came in and mentioned that one of the interviewees from the most recent round had sent a very nice note with some specific reasons why they liked the program. The PD clearly really appreciated the email, but I also don't know how much bearing it will have when the steering committee gets together to vote on the applicants. I don't sit in on those meetings, but I doubt that it will make or break this person's application, though it may help to some degree depending on how sincere the applicant seemed to be. At most the PD will probably say that the person sent a nice note after the interview (almost word for word). Because we are a smaller program, I have been told by the leadership that showing interest usually is favorable to applicants, though it may actually make a more noticeable difference at the pre-interview stage in our case.

I will let someone who actually votes on applicants tell you what their opinions are, but my limited experience seems to be that it is highly variable but may help you a little bit in some cases if you are specific and sincere.

Sorry that I am getting long-winded, but I will throw out one more piece of advice for everyone: remember that most of your faculty interviewers are doing this as a courtesy and are not being compensated for their time. Pick people that you would genuinely be interested in interviewing/working with, and be mindful of the fact that they just took an hour out of their day to meet with you when they could have been doing a lot of other things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users